how to virtualize a hard drive connected to Hyper-V

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to virtualize a hard drive connected to Hyper-V

I have a hard drive that used to be in a server but that machine took a dive but the HD was still working. I put the HD in another machine and marked it OFFLINE in diskmgmt.msc and attached the entire Hard Drive in Hyper-V. It's working great but I want to convert it into a VHD. I tried using Virtual Machine Manager and it seemed to go all the way to the end but then it stopped and said "RPC SERVER UNAVAILABLE" and the VHD won't work. Which I don't understand why RPC would have anything to do with a HD to VHD conversion. Any ideas?

Thank You!

Re: how to virtualize a hard drive connected to Hyper-V

Why not just use disk2vhd from sysinternals to convert it to a vhd?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../ee656415.aspx

Comment

IIRC HyperV has an option when creating a new VHD to make a copy of a physical disk (certainly does in Win8 so presumably in 2012, I'm pretty sure it was in 2008 as well)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hyper-V 2012 does give you a choice to create a VHD or VHDX and base it on the physical drive. Worth a try.

Comment

As does 2008R2 (thought it did previously, but didn't have a physical box to check then, now I do)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I used the disk2vhd sysinternals utility. I didn't realize it would work for making a Hyper-V capable VHD. Anyway it worked. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for posting back and good to hear.

Comment

Working...
              X