clustering in a data center

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clustering in a data center

How do people who are using Hyper-V in data centers decide where to define different clusters? Do people define clusters as each cluster is defined by it's storage? Do you cut them into smaller chunks, etc.

This is just a curiosity question. In my case thus far we have only managed environments that have just a single shared storage and it didn't make sense to create more than one Cluster.

Does anybody have any white papers / documents / etc. for the best practice for cluster sizing and best practice around that topic?

Thank you

Re: clustering in a data center

I don't have any documents but one environment I work on has evolved to 2 clusters connecting to a SAN with Equallogic and NetApp arrays. One cluster if for production/critical VMs and the other is for management/test VMs.

But this design is specific to the client's needs. It all depends.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      I don't have any documents but one environment I work on has evolved to 2 clusters connecting to a SAN with Equallogic and NetApp arrays. One cluster if for production/critical VMs and the other is for management/test VMs.

But this design is specific to the client's needs. It all depends.
      So just to clarify - 2 Hyper-V clusters. Are the clusters dictated by Storage targets? Is the SAN one large interconnected IP space?

Thanks

Comment

The clusters are separated by function. The same storage supports both clusters. The SAN is iSCSI in a single subnet with multi vendor arrays on it serving both clusters.

This is not necessarily the best setup for everyone but it serves this particular client well.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

We have recently been reviewing the Design of our Hyper-V clusters and have found that one of the primary considerations should be memory. The way a Hyper-V Cluster decides in whether memory is over committed is based on physical slots of the server in the cluster with the least physical memory, should the memory of Physical Hosts be different. Due to the formula used in the way the cluster works out the memory, we have decided to start creating clusters and have the Guest VMs have a dynamic memory with a maximum of a similar amount. For example, one cluster for VMs up to 16GB of memory, another 32GB and another 64GB.

Comment

Working...
          X