USB Flash Drive boot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Flash Drive boot

Been trying for two days to get Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 installed on a flash drive, so the hypervisor runs from it. Have found a number of documents on the topic, and tried them all (and then some).
    Just couldn't get it to work - another way that Microsoft falls short in providing options to their customers.
    Boot errors, blue screens, crashes, startup loops - anything except a normal startup.
    Be interested in hearing if anyone has ever gotten this to work, and how much hassle it was. I know there are folks out there that have had success with previous versions of Hyper-V, and with VMware. How about HV 2012 R2?

Re: USB Flash Drive boot

Originally posted by rpelletier View Post
    Been trying for two days to get Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 installed on a flash drive, so the hypervisor runs from it. Have found a number of documents on the topic, and tried them all (and then some).
    Just couldn't get it to work - another way that Microsoft falls short in providing options to their customers.
    Boot errors, blue screens, crashes, startup loops - anything except a normal startup.
    Be interested in hearing if anyone has ever gotten this to work, and how much hassle it was. I know there are folks out there that have had success with previous versions of Hyper-V, and with VMware. How about HV 2012 R2?
    Have you seen this??

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../jj733589.aspx

Specifically this

Recommended USB flash drive hardware
    For Hyper-V Server, the recommended hardware is the same as that recommended for Windows To Go. For more information, see Windows To Go: Feature Overview. Specific USB flash drives that are currently recommended include:
    Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate

Super Talent Express RC8

Western Digital My Passport Enterprise

In general, a host computer used for running Hyper-V Server from a flash drive must have the following characteristics:

Parameter Requirement
    Boot process
    Must be capable of booting with a USB flash drive
    Firmware
    Must be certified for use with Windows Server and configurable to boot directly from a USB flash drive. If you are unsure of the ability of the computer to boot from a USB flash drive, check with the hardware manufacturer.
    External USB hub
    Not supported. Connect the USB flash drive directly to the host computer.
    USB version
    2.0 or newer

Comment

Yep, saw that and a few others modeled after it. Not sure why, but couldn't get it to work. Decided it wasn't worth the trouble - wasted a ton of hours on it. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
      We tried two different USB Flash Drives (including a Traveller Ultimate), on two different servers. Then, used one of those same flash drives to install Hyper-V - no problem. Use it to boot Hyper-V - forget it.

Arrgh!

Comment

By the looks of it you don't actually have any issues installing to the drive or am i reading it wrongly?

Is the rest of your hardware working properly?

BIOS updated to latest available?

USB port on the board working properly?

You've probably been through all this but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Comment

Oh yeah all that and then some. We used the same USB key to install Hyper-V to both servers, after it wouldn't allow us to instal, to it. No idea what it could have been, but wasted far more time on it than it was worth.
          If this post steers someone away from trying this, it will be worth the little bit of effort.
          Thought maybe someone might have either had the same experience (maybe even resolved it), or is having it and needs to hear they aren't alone.
          I just partitioned off a little bit of the drive array intended for just guest partitions, but at least it works.

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          By the looks of it you don't actually have any issues installing to the drive or am i reading it wrongly?

Is the rest of your hardware working properly?

BIOS updated to latest available?

USB port on the board working properly?

You've probably been through all this but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Comment

I tried a bunch of other tutorials and found moderate success with typos...etc.

I just built a bootable usb flash drive with 2012 Hyper-v core and works using the tutorial from the link below:

terrytlslau.tls1.cc/2014/01/installing-hyper-v-server-2012-r2-to.html

Using a Kingston 32 GB DataTraveler Ultimate <--- boy this flash drive makes a difference compare to a USB 2.0 HP mini flash drive. A little on the big side, but is fast. This is in a HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X