This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to configure a new subnet in hyperV

I have a server and a block of 5 public ip addresses - I use one for the server itself and the other 4 for VMs.
    I have just ordered a /28 block of addresses but they are on a different subnet.
    The host told me they are delivered as a static route and I have to configure them myself, but I have no idea how to do this!

Can anyone give me some pointers?
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Re: How to configure a new subnet in hyperV

I think maybe I just need a router/virtual router to be responsible for the subnet ?
    And maybe this belongs in networking rather than hyperV section?
    But I'm not sure as this is a bit outside my comfort zone.

But if anyone can give me a point in the right direction it would be great.
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Comment

The subnet will be routet to your router, which will have to be configured accordingly.

You could assign one of the IP addresses to a (VLAN?) interface on the router itself, and connect the relevant systems/VMs to the new network. Or you could tell the router to simply forward the packets to anoter router, physical or residing in a VM.

If your router supports VLAN/802.1q, I'd recommend creating a VLAN for the public subnet and set up a trunk between the router (or a switch) and the hypervisor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
        The subnet will be routet to your router, which will have to be configured accordingly.

You could assign one of the IP addresses to a (VLAN?) interface on the router itself, and connect the relevant systems/VMs to the new network. Or you could tell the router to simply forward the packets to anoter router, physical or residing in a VM.

If your router supports VLAN/802.1q, I'd recommend creating a VLAN for the public subnet and set up a trunk between the router (or a switch) and the hypervisor.
        The only thing is, it's a hosted server, so I don't have access to a router at all. Can I set up a software router in hyperV?
        David Silvester
        Systems Administrator

Comment

OK, then the subnet is obviously going to be routed to one of your existing IP addresses. I assume you know which one?

Hyper-V does not have its own virtual router, but you could create a VM with multiple virtual NICs and install basically any OS capable of routing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
            OK, then the subnet is obviously going to be routed to one of your existing IP addresses. I assume you know which one?

Hyper-V does not have its own virtual router, but you could create a VM with multiple virtual NICs and install basically any OS capable of routing.
            No I don't. Can it be any of my current ip addresses? Do I need to dedicate one to that task?
            And what OS would be best, Linux/windows?
            David Silvester
            Systems Administrator

Comment

Also, I don't know if it makes any difference, but I don't need to the subnets to talk, I just need the new subnet to connect to the Internet.
              David Silvester
              Systems Administrator

Comment

I am now installing pfsense which I believe will be able to do the job.
                Now I sort of understand that I will need to have a port on pfsense configured with an ip from my new subnet, then a route pointing traffic from there to the gateway on my existing network?

I'm not communicating between my two subnets locally, so do I still need to configure an ip from my current subnet on pfsense?

I'm wondering now if this thread should be moved to general networking, or I should start a new thread there?
                David Silvester
                Systems Administrator

Comment

This is probably more of a networking question.

If you do not have control of the router then you don't have enough information from the host. They need to tell you to which IP address they are routing the subnet. That IP address will need to be the address of your router.

Do you have a firewall or anything doing NAT for your existing subnet?
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                    This is probably more of a networking question.

If you do not have control of the router then you don't have enough information from the host. They need to tell you to which IP address they are routing the subnet. That IP address will need to be the address of your router.

Do you have a firewall or anything doing NAT for your existing subnet?
                    I had a suspicion that I needed more information, but I didn't know what to ask!

Here is a summary of what I currently have:

Dedicated server running server 2008 R2
                    -this is provided by my hosting company.

I have 5 usable public IP addresses - 1 assigned to that server and 4 for my VMs.
                    they are all on the same subnet and I have been given a gateway for them by the provider - the gateway is the first IP on the subnet.

I can assign those IPs to my VMs - running on teh server in Microsoft HyperV and everything works fine.

Then I asked for an additional block of IP addreses from my hosting provider. so they gave me a /28 subnet (if thats the right terminology).
                    They told me this would give me 16 addresses, but they are not on the same subnet, and they said that the subnet is delivered as a static route and no gateway is established within the subnet.

My goal is to have these addresses available for me to assign to VMs within HyperV.
                    at the moment, I have no requirement for them to communicate with each other directly.
                    David Silvester
                    Systems Administrator

Comment

Let's pick this up in your other thread:
                      http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=65117
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

All replies to the thread in General Networking please - locking this one
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                        X