Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-v 2012 R2 command line help

Hi all,

i recently installed the free Hyper-V 2012 R2 onto a Microserver (and called it hyperserver).
    The OS went onto a 500gb SSH.
    There is also 4x 2TB of storage in Raid10 giving 3.6TB available.

In the HP ACU i set the 500gb to the primary boot drive (without it i couldn't install the OS). I set the storage array to the secondary.

When i boot into hyper-v it's obviously only command line based. My knowledge with such is limited.
    When i use my win8.1 laptop to connect to my hyperserver (as that is what i'll use to manage it) and i'm about to create a VHD, i then become unstuck because i can't see the storage array at all, only the 500gb C: drive.
    So, i'm thinking i'd need to use diskpart from the command prompt on hyperserver, but when i type diskpart in it returns the usual info about the diskpart version and the computer, but it doesn't return a prompt cursor for me to start typing. All i can do is ctrl+C to get back to regular cmd prompt.

Can anyone help please? I've no idea what to do from here, so any advice more teccy that what i've tried doing already will involve slooow deliberate instructions please.

Many thanks for any advice offered.

Re: Hyper-v 2012 R2 command line help

You can get a GUI version of HyperV server so you might be best installing that (or reinstalling and not selecting CORE if that is an option)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yeah i think you're right. The gui version would be better, but i think it requires a licence whereas the non-gui i have is free.
      I'll grab it from technet before it closes down.

Comment

Damn, you are right,the free one is non-gui only
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This might help

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmaye...x#.UrfqAnmQzwI

Comment

Thanks,
            but that seem to pertain to the non-R2 product, and some people have reported issues when installing it on R2.

Anyway.....on friday i installed Hyper-V manager on my win8.1 pc. Opened computer Management for my 'hyperserver' remotely, but it just sat there and wouldn't populate the window with any drive info.
            came in this morning and the computer management screen has now populated itself with the hyperservers drive list.....about flippin time.

But when trying to initialize the 3.6TB array as either MBR or GPT it fails with an error box saying "The operation cannot be completed because selected disk(s) are unallocated disk(s)"

Don't get that, i thought initialising the disks allowed allocation.
            Couldn't see anything in the ACU that pertains to allocating disks in an array.

Any more advice on this please?

edit:
            ok, managed to get diskpart to respond directly from the command line on the hyperserver. I'm now formatting the raid array after making it a GPT partition and given it a drive letter.
            It seem that anything to do with asking for info on the 3.6TB array takes forever. All other commands are pretty quick now.
            Last edited by k.jacko; 23rd December 2013, 10:10.

Comment

It sounds like you either have a corrupt installation of Windows, bad storage drivers, or bad hardware. The Diskpart command (when it didn't give you a cursor) was probably trying to load the information, just like when you opened disk management remotely and it took forever.

I would do all the driver updates you can. Download and run the support paq DVD (or whatever it's called now) and see if things start working better for you. Also consider redownloading the Hyper-V Server media and reinstalling.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Right, this is driving me a little nuts now.
                I decided to reinstall from scratch with WS2012 R2 and opted for the standard edition with GUI enabled.
                Installed the OS onto the 500gb SSHD i have in bay 5 (ODD), but when i go into server manager to initialise the 3.74TB raid10 array, it keeps BSOD'ing with KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
                Upon reboot looking in the events show:
                error 51 "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation."

WTF??? This is really annoying. ALL disks are brand new.
                Do i assume that the 500gb SSHD is the DR0 in question?

I then replaced the 500gb SSHD for a 120gb SSD, but the bios reported it didn't meet the min size hard drive reqs, so i had to swap back to the 500gb. GRRRrrr!!!!!! Doesn't even get to installing an OS stage, so that buggers me up again.

I then deleted both arrays on the B120i and recreated them with the 500gb as the first array and primary boot drive, but get the same errors after going through all the routine of installing 2012 R2 again.

I really wanted to put the host OS onto a separate drive and just use the raid10 for VM and data storage.

Is it too much to ask?
                Could it be that the system doesn't like me using a hybrid disk in the slot that the ODD should be used in?

Any more advice would be appreciated.
                Last edited by k.jacko; 24th December 2013, 13:25.

Comment

Originally posted by k.jacko View Post
                  WTF??? This is really annoying. ALL disks are brand new.
                  Doesn't mean the drives aren't bad. I believe HP has a hardware test utility. You should run the HDD tests on the drives.

Do i assume that the 500gb SSHD is the DR0 in question?
                  Most likely.

Could it be that the system doesn't like me using a hybrid disk in the slot that the ODD should be used in?
                  You should call and talk to support to make sure you have the correct configuration. You should also install the latest drivers once Windows is install.

It really sounds like hardware failure to me.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                  X