General Guest OS installation question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Guest OS installation question

I have a new W2K8R2 server and a small iSCSI SAN attached. I have added the Hyper-V role to this server and now I am starting the creation of virtual machines. My question is do I create the OS vhd file of the guest OS on the SAN or do I create it locally on the Host server say D drive? The host server has a C and D partition that is RAID 5 and I have quite a bit space and RAM on this server. the virtual machine I am creating will have an attached pass through disk that will reside on the SAN due to the space needed on this VM. I am just not entirely sure performance wise which would be best to do. When I am done with this small project this server will have only 3 virtual machines and one physical host.
    Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Marc

Re: General Guest OS installation question

Best practice would be to put the VM hard disks on the SAN.

Comment

Thanks Joe
      I had been given reasons for doing it both ways which I thought was confusing. I created the virtual machines all on the SAN including the vhd OS files and mapped the Pass Through disks to the vhd files once I logged into the virutal machine. I thought this was the proper way but was recently told that I should have put the vhd files on the phsyical hosts. Figured maybe I was missing something.
      Anyhow thanks for the validation
      Happy Holidays Joe
      Marc

Comment

I've never heard of anyone who has a SAN putting the VM VHD files on the local disk of the Hyper-V server. That defeats the purpose of the SAN.

Comment

That is what I thought but I aint one for arguing with folks, figure I would look to the forums and go back with ammo so to speak.
          THanks again Joe!
          Marc

Comment

Working...
          X