Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper V 2008 Server upgrade to Hyper V 2012 R2 Server

Hi Guys,

I currently got an IBM blade which has the Hyper V 2008 Operating system installed on it which is the host of a couple of Virtual Machines. I want to upgrade it to the Operating System: Hyper V 2012 R2, which I had already downloaded from the Microsoft website.

My plan was to remove all snapshots and saved states from the VMs running on this host. Then I would switch them off or transfer them to another blade system (host).

The next step is to remove the current OS on this host and install the Hyper V 2012 R2.

Is this way a good way to do this upgrade or would you suggest something better?

Also what other precautions should I take in order for the upgrade to be smooth?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Hyper V 2008 Server upgrade to Hyper V 2012 R2 Server

I think you have a good plan -- clean install is always better than an upgrade!

Just check you have all suitable drivers before you start
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      I think you have a good plan -- clean install is always better than an upgrade!

Just check you have all suitable drivers before you start

Thanks for Your reply!

so there is no compatibility issues with VMs which are on Win Srv 2008 to be migrated on to Windows Server 2012 R2?

Thanks and regards!

Comment

You should update the VM Additions after the migration (open the VM in a window on the server, select Action menu and then Insert Integration Services Disk - this will involve a reboot of the VM. This does not absolutely need to be done immediately, but makes sense if you have planned downtime anyway.

I did a recent migration from 4x2008R2 servers with hyperv to 2x 2012 - about 16VMs in all, with absolutely no issues. Did it as an export from the old OS and then import on the new one - you will do the same, with the OS upgrade in between. Just merge any snapshots first.

You gain things like dynamic memory (OK, that was 2008R2Sp1 ) but more importantly, live migrations and replication of VMs
        Last edited by Ossian; 11th October 2013, 10:24.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've done a similar migration as well, IMO the real killer feature of Server 2012/R2 Hyper-V is the Hyper-V Replication. Offsite DR over a slow WAN link works perfectly, and you can even do limited onsite DR/HA without a SAN, albeit with the requirement for manual intervention to bring servers back online.

IIRC I didn't bother with the import/export process, just copied the VHDs over and re-created the VMs with the same settings.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

As you say, could easily have just copied the VHDs - since it was machine to machine the export was the same amount of network traffic

Merging the snapshots first was a laborious process, but needed (previous admin used snapshots everywhere)
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X