Hyper-V Ate My VM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Ate My VM

Server 2008 R2 SP1. Hyper-V installed with a couple of RODCs and a Linux based VM. On Thursday the Linux VM was working. On Friday it had disappeared from Hyper-V Manager. The VHD was still there but something(don't know which one as I was too time pressed to look at the time) was gone. Tried to create a new VM using the VHD but it had no IPs and it is configured in such a way that you need an IP the HTTP into the "O/S" to apply your customised IPs.

Really weird. Not asking for a solution as I just totally rebuilt the VM from a vanilla version that was prepared earlier. Just curious if anyone else has lost a VM in Hyper-V Manager?

May find more info when I next visit that site.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Hyper-V Ate My VM

It could be physical disk errors. I've seen VMs disappear if the MBR or GPT is corrupt. Running chkdsk has brought some of them back.

Other than that it would be someone/something deleting the VM.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Never had this happen before but have had the VHD go missing whereas the VM was still referenced in Hyper-v. Also worth checking AV scanning and ensure the relevant exclusions have been set.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
        Never had this happen before but have had the VHD go missing whereas the VM was still referenced in Hyper-v. Also worth checking AV scanning and ensure the relevant exclusions have been set.
        Got identical setups at several locations in the organisation (about 1200) and this is the first one reported since they were all done around April 2013.

All the files were there but when I went to add it back to the Manager it lost the IPs so I ended up building a new one and restoring a backup. It worked after that. I believe the AV was not the problem BUT Server 2008 R2 SP1 had just been installed, however it was also done on the other 1200 Servers as well without any issue like this. Really weird.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X