Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delete old snapshot - what happens?

Hi all,
    (2008 server) I am doing this for the first time so I thought I would run this by some experts before I did it.

I have a VM that was created back in january. When it was created there was a snapshot taken. I need to expand the c: VHD - and know that I cannot have snapshots to do this. This may sound like a crazy Q - but if I delete the snapshot, will it revert back to january or will the data on the VM still be current?

Thanks,
    Rob

Re: Delete old snapshot - what happens?

Funnily enough I am doing this just now
    You will not lose any data, but there will be a lengthy (could be very lengthy) merge process while the data on the snapshot avhd is written back to the main vhd. This may not take place until you shut down the VM.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian - thanks for the prompt reply.

I figured that was what was going to happen - just wanted to be sure before I pulled the trigger on a production machine.

Also - just to be sure - I did an export of the VM.

When you say "lengthy process" - how long are we talking hours? Days?

Rob

Comment

Hours, not days -- about 50gb per hour on my (fairly low IOPS) setup
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            This may not take place until you shut down the VM.
            Correct, in Windows 2008/R2 the AVHD will not be merged until the VM is shutdown. In Windows 2012 it will be merged while the VM is running.

Originally posted by Sternfan2012 View Post
            I figured that was what was going to happen - just wanted to be sure before I pulled the trigger on a production machine.
            Snapshots are not recommended for production machines. I would make sure you delete all snapshots from any production VMs and find time to merge the snapshots.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X