Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay to install guest VM on host Server partition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay to install guest VM on host Server partition?

Hi folks. Just wondering what the thoughts might be on installing a guest VM on the hyper V host array. We've been making a host array and seperate VM array for most of our servers and I was wondering if it's okay to install a VM on the host array partition. Thoughts? Thanks.

Re: Okay to install guest VM on host Server partition?

What do you mean host array and guest array? Do you mean a disk array where the OS is installed?

You can place your virtual machines anywhere you want. On a standalone host with no external or shared storage the virtual machines are placed on the same volume as the OS so I don't see any issues with doing so in your case. Of course giving us more detail about your configuration would allow us to give you better, more informed answers.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      What do you mean host array and guest array? Do you mean a disk array where the OS is installed?

You can place your virtual machines anywhere you want. On a standalone host with no external or shared storage the virtual machines are placed on the same volume as the OS so I don't see any issues with doing so in your case. Of course giving us more detail about your configuration would allow us to give you better, more informed answers.
      Sure fair enough. Here is my current layout:

ARRAY 1: RAID1: HOST Server 2008
      ARRAY 2: RAID1: VHD of SBS Server partition
      ARRAY 3: RAID5: VHDs of Server Data partition

I want to know if I can just put the VHD of the SBS Server partition (ARRAY2) on the HOST Server 2008 array (ARRAY1) without having any issues. Can OS VHDs be on the same array and drives as the Hyper V Physical Host? That's my question. Thank you.

Comment

Yes you can. I should have been more clear in my answer.

If, for example, you have a single Hyper-V host with a single local disk array where the OS and Hyper-V is installed, your virtual machines storage (the VHD files) will by default be on the same local disk array as the OS and Hyper-V (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Hyper-V\Virtual Hard Disks by default), so it's perfectly acceptable to move your virtual machine storage (the VHD files) to the same disk array as the host OS/Hyper-V.

Comment

Working...
        X