Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB redirection in a remote desktop session on a Windows 2008 R2 VM

Hi everyone,

I have a Core Hyper-V 2008 r2, and one of the guests is a Server 2008 R2.

Now I discovered that I couldn't installed the Hyper-V role on the Server 2008 R2 because it was itself a VM (you can't have a nester hypervisor), therefore I cannot install the RemoteFX role (this is maybe possible now with 2012 ?)

So if I can't install the RemoteFX role, how can I enable usb redirection from desktop remote sessions on my Server 2008 R2. Any ideas how I can do this ? Before RemoteFX, what would you have used ?

Thank you for your help

Re: USB redirection in a remote desktop session on a Windows 2008 R2 VM

Originally posted by Steph View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a Core Hyper-V 2008 r2, and one of the guests is a Server 2008 R2.

Now I discovered that I couldn't installed the Hyper-V role on the Server 2008 R2 because it was itself a VM (you can't have a nester hypervisor), therefore I cannot install the RemoteFX role (this is maybe possible now with 2012 ?)

So if I can't install the RemoteFX role, how can I enable usb redirection from desktop remote sessions on my Server 2008 R2. Any ideas how I can do this ? Before RemoteFX, what would you have used ?

Thank you for your help
    Install the RemoteFX role on your Core Hyper-V installation.

http://www.petri.com/configuring-rem...r-v-r2-sp1.htm

http://studiohub.wordpress.com/2011/...-v-server-sp1/

Comment

Thanks wullieb1 for answering.

And how would that help ? The remote FX role needs to be installed on the 2008 R2, as it is the remote desktop host manager. And as said, I'm using the Core version of Hyper-V 2008 R2, not the Hyper-V role on a Server 2008.

Comment

Any help:
        http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...9-1cf91ed95b01
        (read a fair bit down)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have you reviewed this?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...9-1289c4753116

This is also worth a review. To enable Remote FX you don't need to install the Hyper-V dependant role on the Guest VM, the RDVH role that redirects the Client to their VDI or RDSH session.

Comment

Thanks guys for your input, but I'm not sure it helps me. Sorry for this picture in French :

I don't want to install the remoteFX role on my Hyper-V Core. The server is in a workgroup, this way it is totally independent of everything else.

I then installed a VM Windows 2008 R2 with RDS. So now we can open remote desktop sessions on the 2008 R2 (and not on the hyper-v). But now we would need to "map" local usb ports to our remote sessions... and from what I understand, you need the hyper-v role so that you can install the remotefx... but you can't install the hyper-v in a VM (my Windows 2008 r2), therefore I cannot install the remoteFX role (check my picture above).

So I'm wondering now if my only solution is something like http://www.incentivespro.com/products.html ?

What also puzzles me : does this mean that before remoteFX, there was NO built-in solution from Microsoft to redirect usb ports ? I know this is possible with Citrix and Vmware... but MS ?
            Attached Files

Comment

I see what you are saying. I am not familiar with Incentives Pro. It would be worth getting a free trial, so you can carry out testing and a PoC. If using USB redirection, we have been involved with VDI/RDSH projects involving Dell (Quest) vWorkspace, Windows 7 VMs and Windows 2008 R2 RDSH servers.

Comment

The link I posted above suggests you can enable RemoteFX directly on Server 2008R2 CORE as long as it is at SP1

And yes, before there was no USB passthrough or anything, just drive mapping via remote desktop
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I will try their software and post back !

Ossian> Yes you can add it to Hyper-V 2008 r2 core, but that will not help me : I need to add the remote FX on the remote desktop session host, which is my Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thanks all for your help, I'll come back in a few days...

Comment

Can you please try and explain what it is that your trying to achieve?

Where are you trying to redirect USB from?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=13064

That is the installation and configuration guide.

The fact that you are using the Core version over the Standard GUI version doesn't really matter. Its the same underlying OS minus the GUI, well almost.

Comment

Steph has opted to not add the RD Virtualisation Host role to the Physical Hyper-V server, so is unable to implement Remote FX and as already discovered, this cannot be added to a Virtual Machine as needs the Hyper-V role.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                        Steph has opted to not add the RD Virtualisation Host role to the Physical Hyper-V server, so is unable to implement Remote FX and as already discovered, this cannot be added to a Virtual Machine as needs the Hyper-V role.
                        Yep this part i know.

Hence the reason i specifically stipulated on the 2nd post on the thread that it needs to be installed on the Core Hyper-V installatioon.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                          Yep this part i know.

Hence the reason i specifically stipulated on the 2nd post on the thread that it needs to be installed on the Core Hyper-V installatioon.
                          Yes, see what you are saying. I was pointing out that he wants a solution for using a Guest VM to allow USB redirection as using the MS way will need a physical server that he doesn't wish to do at this stage.

Comment

I believe that MS are finally going to add USB pass-through in Server 2012 R2.
                            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                            http://www.wintra.co.il/
                            sigpic
                            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Sounds good. We'll wait in anticipation.

Comment

Working...
                              X