No announcement yet.

Hyper V disk config

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper V disk config

Hi all

We have a customer that we are building a server for. Its going to be Hyper V host with two guests. Due to the costs we hvae 4 600GB SAS disks.

Initially I was looking at a RAID1 for each guest, however long term it doesnt really lend itself if we want to add a 3 guest. However as one of the guests will manage Exchange I am looking for the best performance.

Plus I realise that Hyper V doesnt leave a huge footprint, is it wise to have this installed on the same set of disks as a guest ?

Any advice would be great or links.

Re: Hyper V disk config

4 drives doesnt really lend itself to an optimal configuration...

i think the first thing you need to do is a load test to determine what kinda performance you will require.

this also means that if your going to use the 4 drives, you have no hot spare for either group... because i would definitely be using to groups for the servers in question. the exchange box is going to need to have decent I/O rates depending on your user base....

its hard to suggest how to set this up with only 4 physical drives...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

1. The guests don't (or shouldn't) access the physical disks directly. You'll install Hyper-V on the RAID array(s), then you'll create virtual hard drives for the guests.

2. Personally I would configure two RAID 1 sets or one RAID 10 set.

If you will only be using DAS, you only have the option to create VHDs.

For Exchange environments, I tend to use a VHD for the boot/system partition and then a SAN to provide the LUNs for the Exchange database/log files. This is configured as a pass through disk on the Hyper-V Guest VM.

What Exchange version are you using as I/O requirements are very different. Also, there are tools that allow you to assess the I/O be applying the relevant load prior to migrating production Mailboxes to Exchange, such as the JetStress tool.

Also, ensure that the VHD is a fixed disk.
        Last edited by Virtual; 16th May 2013, 08:15.

Just wanted to say thanks for all your replies much appreciated

Glad to help and thanks for posting back.