file server vm with over 3tb data..best practice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file server vm with over 3tb data..best practice

I have an old file server running 2003 storage server with 3tb of space on the array. I'm moving to Windows 2012 server and I'm going to setup the current file server as a vm. How should I setup the disk space? One large vhd file or should i configure a vhd file for the OS only and then setup a "pass-through disk" for the 3tb of data (1.8 tb currently used).

Thanks,
    Jman

Re: file server vm with over 3tb data..best practice

It will depend but I think your best option for the most flexiblity and performance will be at least two VHDXs. 1 for the OS, 1 for the Data, and then you can have another for a page file if you're looking to do Hyper-V replica now or down the road. You can also consider having additional VHDs if you will have different storage with different performance where you will be optimizing certain data sets.

What is your Hyper-V setup?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks Jeremy,
      My setup at this client is one single HP Proliant G8 server with 4 tb storage (RAID 5+0), 32gb ram. The parent OS is Windows Server 2012.

Is this the info you needed?

Thanks,
      Jeremy

Comment

I think a simple two VHD setup would be good. Do you have any plans to scale this setup?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X