Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISCSI SAN for HYPER-V Server 2012

Hey all.

We have decided to make a move to HYPER-V Server 2012 from ESXi, we currently do not use a SAN and all Storage is local to the Host.

we have 2 hosts, a DL580 with 1 TB local SAS Storage and a DL580 with just over 500GB local SAS storage.

We are naturally looking at implemeting a SAN to make proper use of Live Migration and HA.

The plan is to move the DL580 to a remote site with its local storage and replicate some VM's from HYPER-V 2012 to it, as a cold site DR.

we have 2x DL380's for our main site already and will be looking to implement a SAN solution, currently looking at the Dell EqualLogic PS4100XV.

I am looking for any advice really.

# Is there a cheeper solution without comprimising a production environment, like using one of our Proliants as a SAN using software.

# Any tips from experience.

# Can you for see a better solution or something i could not be thinking about.

Kind Regards

Mat.
    MCSE 2003; MCTS Vista; Sec+; CCNA
    Attitude Makes The Difference!
    in other words you got to WANT to do it..

Re: ISCSI SAN for HYPER-V Server 2012

Originally posted by ikon View Post
    # Is there a cheeper solution without comprimising a production environment, like using one of our Proliants as a SAN using software.
    I wouldn't go any cheaper. I personally like the EQL line of products and find them very reasonable in price. If you were to install iSCSI target software on one of your Proliant servers you would get a setup that would work from a software standpoint but you wouldn't have an HA setup. Storage arrays like the ones from EQL and NetApp are designed with HA in mind and they build the five 9's into the box. If you were to use a server you would have a single point of failure still. So make sure you know what you're trying to protect against with your HA setup. Don't forget to make sure your SAN switches are HA too.

# Any tips from experience.
    Plan, plan, plan.
    Test, test, test.
    Know what you're trying to do and how you plan to accomplish it. Then test it.

# Can you for see a better solution or something i could not be thinking about.
    If you don't need HA and you're just looking for flexibility then you should look at shared nothing live migration. Also, know the ins and outs of Hyper-V replica and test it out before using.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: ISCSI SAN for HYPER-V Server 2012

Netgear has released a SAN. The 5200. It has all the SAN features. E.g. Thin provisioning, infinite snapshots, continuous replication, deduplication, compression, etc. All features are out of the box, no licensing and 5 year warranty. It supports iscsi, smb, afp, ftp, nfs protocols. It also supports AD integration with enhanced ACLs.

It supports vnics and has 2 x 1Gb and 2x 10Gb.

Disks available are SATA, nearline SAS, SAS and SSD. SSD disks can be used as read and write cache to create a tiered storage scenario. Up to 60 disks currently.

We have deployed several and they are kick arse fast.

They are only single controller though, so no controller redundancy, but.....

If you need quick failover protection and can do without automatic controller redundancy, you can buy and install a second empty chassis. If the SAN controller was to die, you simply move all the disks to the second chassis IN ANY ORDER and switch it on. The SAN will self configure and come up in about 2 minutes.

The price of this solution is a fraction of that from the bigger players, easier to deploy for SMB and better than trying to use a standard server as a iSCSI store in my opinion.

I run one in my network, with 2 HyperV 2012 hosts in a cluster and one VMWare host. I have 8 server guests and it is idling most of the time while my guests run really fast. I configured mine with 8 x 2TB SATA in RAID 10, with 2x100GB SSD as read cache and a single 50GB SSD write log.

I moved all my CIFS shares off the Windows server directly to the SAN and I backup my appliances via ftp directly to the SAN as well. The HyperV and VMWare hosts run iSCSI.

Comment

Working...
      X