Virtual network with internet access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual network with internet access

I need to set up a virtual network to simulate our company's physical network for testing, etc. The machines will include DC, Exchange, Web, and MSSQL servers as well as workstations. I need the machines on the virtual network to be isolated from the company subnet that the visualization host is attached to, but at the same time to have internet access. Having read about the virtual network flavors, external, internal, and private, it occurs to me that to accomplish this I need to put the host itself on a separate physical subnet and then configure an external private network in Hyper-V. Before going ahead, I would appreciate an expert opinion on whether it is possible to leave the host on our company subnet and still have the machines in the virtual network both a) isolated from the physical subnet the host is attached to, and b) connected to the external internet.

Re: Virtual network with internet access

A collegue suggested I look into virtual routers. Duh! So I am. Open to recommendations re: best with Hyper-V.

Comment

Re: Virtual network with internet access

You would need to create another Virtual Switch for your test network and assign this to a different physical NIC. The physical NIC you assign it to should be connected to a switch that allows access to the internet but does not allow your test network's subnet to route through. I have in the past created a Gust VM with two virtual NICs. I created a private network virtual switch for the test environment's Guest VMs and another External Virtual switch for the Production network. The Guest VM then had 1 virtual NIC assigned to the Private network and the other Production. I then downloaded a free proxy software to the VM and allowed internet access to the Test environment via that proxy. I didn't setup routing between the Test environment and Production network. Of course, if you use this method, esnure that you test with a Guest VM first-of-all that isn't a DC, Exchange and so on and see if you see it on the production network. You shouldn't be able to.

Comment

Working...
      X