Cannot RDP to Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot RDP to Server

Okay, So I have been having this issue for several weeks now. the setup is I have a Hyper-V environment. The problem is that I cannot RDP to 2 of my servers. Both are running Windows 2008 R2. When I try to RDP, I just get an error message. I've done some searching in online forums and it seems there is an issue with a microsoft update KB2667402. I have removed the update , rebooted the server, but I am still not able to RDP to the server. There was another KB update that was recommended to remove, which I did as well, but still not able to RDP. I even searched through the registry and removed any signs of 2667402.
    I am able to RDP to the host server, I am even able to connect to both servers within Hyper-V, but cannot RDP to them.

I even deleted the server in Hyper-V and readded the server, but still having the same issue with RDP to the server.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the RDP issue resolved.

Thanks!

Re: Cannot RDP to Server

What is the actual error message you get?
    What client are you connecting from?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

The exact error message I get is:

"This computer can't connect to the remote computer. Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator."

I am connecting from a Windows 2008 R2 box, which I can RDP. This box is hosting Hyper-V.

Again, I am able to connect to the server only through Hyper-V with no issues. But the customer needs to be able to RDP to the box.

Comment

Can you clarify.

Are you trying to RDP to the Hyper-V Host or some Guest VMs that are on the Hyper-V Host? How are your virtual switches configured and what NICs do you have? Do some RDP connections work for Guest VMs and are the ones that work using the same Virtual Network as the ones you have issues with.

What version of Hyper-V do you have and how many DNS A records exist for the Hyper-V server?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
          Can you clarify.

Are you trying to RDP to the Hyper-V Host or some Guest VMs that are on the Hyper-V Host?

Okay, so I am trying to RDP to a Guest VMs on the Hyper-V Host. Let's say I have
          Host1 - 3 VMs configured
          Host2 - 2 VMs configured

I just tried and was able to RDP to a VM on Host1. But cannot RDP to ServerA on Host1. I get the error message I replied with.

How are your virtual switches configured and what NICs do you have? Do some RDP connections work for Guest VMs and are the ones that work using the same Virtual Network as the ones you have issues with.

There is :
          Host1 - 3 VMs configured
          Host2 - 2 VMs configured
          Yes, I was able to RDP to a 2003 server on Host1. But cannot RDP to ServerA on Host1 (Windows 2008 R2)

ServerA - NIC - Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter.
          The 2003 Server on Host1, also has Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter.
          What version of Hyper-V do you have and how many DNS A records exist for the Hyper-V server?
          Version 6.1.7601.17514
          How can I look up the DNS A records for the Hyper-V server? sorry, I didn't configure this Hyper-V.

Thanks

Comment

Is RDP enabled on the server?? Not enabled by default.

Are there any firewalls installed??

Comment

Yes, RDP is enabled. I was able to RDP up until a few weeks ago when KB2667402 was installed, so I thought that was the reason I couldn't RDP. I have since removed it, rebooted but still can't RDP.

Firewall is disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by theel1997 View Post
                Version 6.1.7601.17514
                How can I look up the DNS A records for the Hyper-V server? sorry, I didn't configure this Hyper-V.

Thanks
                You need to review the DNS server that is used by Hyper-V. Can you clarify as requested whether this is an issue with RDP to Hyper-V Host or Guest VM? If a Hyper-V Host, and by the looks of it, Windows 2008 R2 with SP1 Hyper-V, you can remove a tick box on the Virtual Switches to prevent Management of the Hyper-V server via the physical NIC associated with that virtual switch. It's called 'Allow management operating system to share this network adapter'. Removing the tick ensures that only Guest VMs can connect through it and there then shouldn't be a DNS A record for that IP address pointing at the Hyper-V Host. If there is a tick in the box, the IP of the physical NIC associated with that Virtual switch will allow the RDP connection and a Host (A) record would exist for the Hyper-V Host name.

Comment

Check this url for potential fix. Worked for me on various servers.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...4-e364589e5267

EDIT: To simplify the suggestion.

On affected server, stop the RDP services (If running) and browse to C:\Windows\System32. Take ownership of the rdpcorekmts.dll file (Right click>>properties>>security>>advanced>>change owner)

Rename rdpcorekmts.dll to rdpcorekmts.dll.old

Copy rdpcorekmts.dll from a server with working RDP, and paste it into your system32 folder.

Start RDP services and you should be fine again.
                  I noticed as well that removing the patch left the dll updated, rather than restoring the original.
                  Last edited by Dutch; 23rd October 2012, 03:21.

Comment

Stupid question time: Are the VM's you cannot RDP to on the same logical network as the others and part of the same subnet? Can you ping them? by name? by IP?
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X