No announcement yet.

Ideas for setup?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for setup?

New to Hyper V.
    Want to set up a virtual file server; What is the best way going about this.
    Do I put everything on 1 vhd and one physical driver or do I put the vhd on one drive and the data on another vhd on a separate physical drive.

Anothe question. Is it advisable to do anything to the host? Like adding roles to it or such. I am planning to make the host a Antivirus server.

Re: Ideas for setup?

Since the VHDs need to use the host drives, it makes sense to split them over multiple spindles on the host (OS on one VHD and Data on another on a separate physical drive)

I have not had problems with running other roles on the host, but it depends on the load on it and on the VMs
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Depends on your storage. I generally find it best to put the OS on a VHD and then use a pass-through disk assigned to the file server VM for the data but relies on you having remote storage such as a SAN. If all the storage is on local disks, as recommended. Ensure you use a fixed size VHD for production servers.

Also, depends on whether you will be clustering. Can you give us more of an idea of your setup and whether this is for testing or production use.

STOP! Don't put antivirus on your host. Since you have no idea what is actually in the VHD files, they may appear to your AV as virus signatures and delete/quarantine/whatever your vhd's. Since these files ARE your virtual machines, you don't really want AV messing with them.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.