Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Widescreen & Networking

Hi,

Having finally (via a rebuild) got Hyper-V working I am having the same issue as I had with virtualbox screen resolution i.e. I can't get any widescreen resolutions only old style "more square" ones. I suppose it's some kind of driver issue on the guest system so if anyone has encountered this issue before I'd like to know

Also, my guest system has no network connection ... my Windows 8 host does and I suspect that somewhere deep down (perhaps in the Hyper-V settings rather than the guest VM ones) I need to find some setting that configures the Hyper-V software with bridged networking..

Finally there's no audio on my guest though I can't remember whether I've actually got audio working on my system ... haven't had enough time to play with the new build.

Some or all of these issues may relate to the guest system being imported from a vBox guest but, as someone elsewhere said, "Google is your friend" so that's where I'll start

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Hyper-V Widescreen & Networking

So yeah ... no widescreen or networking. The same is true of a new MS Hyper-V in terms of screen but networking is fine. Hyper-V machines don't (as has been observed elewhere) have audio with is a shame IMO but RDP has widescreen, networking and audio so it's kinda fine ... I guess I'll just get used to it.

I think VBox is somehow just plain incompatible with MS but I managed to my data across so now I can destroy the old one and stick with Hyper-V

"Cloning" a system was interesting ... Hyper-V on Windows 8 doesn't seem to have the ability to clone but I found that if I created a template machine (with activated Win 7) and switch it off. I can then create a system with no OS, copy the template vhdx over it and, providing I don;tr run two at the same time, hey presto ... a cloned machine of sorts.

Keke

Comment

Do you still need advice on this or have you now resolved the issue? With regards to cloning, it would also be worth doing a sysprep of the OS, so when you copy the VHDX file and assign it to other VMs, each one will have a unique SID. Furthermore, you could consider making the VHDX a Parent VHD and make it read only and create differencing disks for other VMs and point it to the VHDX Parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
        Do you still need advice on this or have you now resolved the issue? With regards to cloning, it would also be worth doing a sysprep of the OS, so when you copy the VHDX file and assign it to other VMs, each one will have a unique SID. Furthermore, you could consider making the VHDX a Parent VHD and make it read only and create differencing disks for other VMs and point it to the VHDX Parent.
        Sort of ... I switched to VMPlayer. Even that was problematic and I ended up completely rebuilding it

Keke

Comment

Working...
        X