Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Sever 2008R2 home lab

Hi Everyone,

I have done some reading on virtualization and my goal is to setup a virtualized test lab at home to setup Exchange, DNS, DC, etc. I have a good Quad Core machine with 16GB RAM. I only need a little bit of guidance, Here are my questions.

I download Hyper-V Server 2008 R2

1. Is the first step install Hyper-V Server 2008 R2
    2. Then use partition magic to divide the HD space
    3. Start installing Exchange, DNS, DC etc.

I know this is probably very basic questions but I appreciate any help.

thanks

Re: Hyper-V Sever 2008R2 home lab

Roughly correct:
    Install HyperV Server
    Partition drive (OS + one large partition, IMHO)
    Install Virtual machine (Server OS) and make it a DC, add DNS, DHCP etc
    Install another VM as Exchange
    continue until out of disk space....
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also, recommend that you configure each VM with a minimum memory allocation of 2GB and your desired maximum amount of memory. Also, worth ensuring that you use the virtual NICs on the VMs of Network Adapter type as oppose to Legacy Network Adapter. Furthermore, it would be worth configuring a base VHD with the OS installed and then configure each VM with a differencing disk, which uses the base VHD as its source. The VHD would be sysprepped and made Read Only after the Sysprep process has completed.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I am jumping to soon at an unfamiliar territory but I am up for the challenge of setting up my lab. I just need a little boost to get me going, so my next silly question is, I installed Hyper- V 2012 and now I am at the command prompt. Do I just now pop-in windows server 2008 CD and begin installing? I kind of wish I can find a step by step article online and I haven't. I would really appreciate any help links, resources, videos how you learned to setup Hyper V. Thanks

Comment

Just use your Win8 desktop, and start to remotely adminitrate the hyper-v server 2012.
          gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ggomez43 View Post
            Thanks for the advice. Maybe I am jumping to soon at an unfamiliar territory but I am up for the challenge of setting up my lab. I just need a little boost to get me going, so my next silly question is, I installed Hyper- V 2012 and now I am at the command prompt. Do I just now pop-in windows server 2008 CD and begin installing? I kind of wish I can find a step by step article online and I haven't. I would really appreciate any help links, resources, videos how you learned to setup Hyper V. Thanks
            So the Hyper-V is now installed and configured? You originally stated that it was Hyper-V Server 2008 R2. If it is that one, google Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 or Hyper-V Server 2012 configuration guide.

As pointed out, it is worth using your Desktop to manage the Hyper-V Host once it has been installed. It's a case of downloading the relevant RSAT tools and activating the appropriate Management tool features.

With regards to installation of the OS in the Guest VM, you could make an ISO available locally on your Client or use the physical drive and place your Windows 2008 R2 disk in there. You then point to the ISO or physical drive when configuring the Guest VM.

Comment

hello everyone - haven't had a chance to reply, I was out of town.

1. I don't have windows 8, only windows 7 - I read you can still manage Hyperv 2012 with window 7. will this be ok?

2. Are these the correct steps to setup Hyper-V

Download from website burn to CD/DVD.Boot from disc, follow steps to overwrite hard drive and install.
              After reboot, config management IP address.

install the Hyper-V management snap-in for Win 7

Install server management tools pack.

Go to add/remove and enable the Hyper-V snap-in.

Open Hypver-V snap-in and connect TRY to connect to box.

Does windows 7 need to be part of a domain?

3. Once I finish the steps 2. do I just pop in the CD to install Exchange on 50GB and 2GB of RAM on my host?

4. I understand not all products are easy to setup but I just need some assist. thank you.

Well, I read Hyper V 2012 can sometimes be difficult to setup and ESXi is easier to work with.

A appreciate the help.

Comment

What version of Hyper-V are you downloading?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  What version of Hyper-V are you downloading?
                  OR to put it more simply, does it have a GUI or just a command line?
                  Is it the free, command line only Hyper-V, or are you installing the full 2008 R2 server and adding the Hyper-V role as the initial (host) machine?
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I have tried installing Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 and Hyper-V Server 2012, both have command interface. I have Quad Core 1TB 16GB desktop and I want to setup a lab with Exchange,DC,DNS etc to practice and being takins MS exams. i don't have windows 8 and only have a laptop with windows 7. I have read I can enabled the Hyper-V management snap-in for Win 7 and manage the VMs.
                    I just needs some guidence to get started. I heard ESXi is easier to work with, but I wouldn't mine experimenting and to learn,. any help with be great.

thanks

Comment

Yes, you can. Once you have installed Hyper-V 2008 R2 or 2012, ensure that you have at least configured the Management NIC with an IP etc to allow you to connect to it and then download and install RSAT for Windows 7 on your Windows 7 PC and then use Programs and Features to activate the Hyper-V snap-in feature.

Comment

Thanks, I will try tonight.

Doesn't WIN7 have to be part of a domain to connect to the Hyper V server ?

Comment

I installed Hyper V-2012 but I get a not network adapter found. I have the drivers, but in the command the D: is not ready. Is the only way of installing the NIC driver is thru the command prompt? thanks

Comment

I believe you are using the free edition, Hyper-V Server 2012?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmaye...ion-itpro.aspx

This will help with drivers, which is a link provided in the article above.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj647787

Comment

hello,

I changed my setup and installed Hyper- V 2012 on a Vertex SSD and now I am having an issue installing the network driver. see visual. any thoughts?

I have a PCIE LAN Realtek and I tried loading the win7-64 bit drives.

The plan is, have the Hyper V-2012 on the SSD and load my virtual servers on 1TB HD.

Please advise
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X