[SOLVED] Hyper-V On Windows 8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOLVED] Hyper-V On Windows 8

Following my issues with Virtual box ...

In my infinite wisdom I decided to install Windows 8 Hyper V after all why have something like VBox when I can use the native one?

Installed it and got an error, uninstalled and re-installed same error:

"an attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist"

I've checked the net and there are references to this but the truth is I don't really see any solutions ... so any idea?

EDIT: Tried to re-register the DLL's (For /F %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s) ... didn't work!

Keke
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 12th October 2012, 08:52. Reason: To Mark Issue As Solved
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Hyper-V On Windows 8

what errors are in your event logs?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also, review the following;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../hh857623.aspx

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        what errors are in your event logs?
        Strangely enough, no errors whatsoever (checked Application, Security, Setup & System)

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
        I can't seem to find anything useful there, I downloaded the 2008 Hyper-V (where it says "Microsoft Hyper-V Server 8 Beta or Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 (stand-alone products)? See What's New in Microsoft Hyper-V Server "8" Beta and Download Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1 (SP1).") but when I start the install for that it seriously looks it's going to completely blitz my machine and install 2008 on it i.e. full screen install that looks identical to the initial install for an OS.

Keke

Comment

I see. Can you confirm what you are installing. Is it Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1 (SP1)? Check the BIOS to verify that pre-requisites exist and are set within the BIOS. It will install onto your machine. There is a Hyper-V for Windows 8 (Client OS) that I thought you were installing. Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) is to allow you to create a standalone Hyper-V Host to place Guest VMs on. Microsoft Hyper-V Server 8 is Windows 2012.

Comment

Microsoft Hyper-V Server 8 is Windows 2012.

Microsoft Hyper-V Server 8 is "Hyper-V Server 2012"

from what I can see the OP try to enable Hyper-V on a Windows 8 and fail, so he download the "Hyper-V Server 2012 or Hyper-V server 2008 r2 expecting it will add hyper-V to his Windows 8 and discover that he was in fact installing the Hyper-V Server 2012 or the Hyper-V server 2008.

Comment

Hyper-V is a feature of windows 8. Server 2012 also has a hyper-v role. The windows 8 version however does need a SLAT capable processor to enable the feature. Server 2012 just needs a processor with virtualisation support.
              gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Hi,

I see. Can you confirm what you are installing. Is it Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1 (SP1)? Check the BIOS to verify that pre-requisites exist and are set within the BIOS. It will install onto your machine. There is a Hyper-V for Windows 8 (Client OS) that I thought you were installing. Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) is to allow you to create a standalone Hyper-V Host to place Guest VMs on. Microsoft Hyper-V Server 8 is Windows 2012.
                I want Hyper-V for Windows 8. I can enable that in the features (under Control Panel --> Uninstall A Program --> Turn Windows features on or off) but it generates the error, "an attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist". IOW I want to run Win 8 but I want to run virtual machines under that OS. Obviously I followed the wrong link so can you tell me which actual like on that page I need to follow to get the latest version of Hyper-V for Win 8?

Originally posted by aqualab View Post
                Microsoft Hyper-V Server 8 is "Hyper-V Server 2012"

from what I can see the OP try to enable Hyper-V on a Windows 8 and fail, so he download the "Hyper-V Server 2012 or Hyper-V server 2008 r2 expecting it will add hyper-V to his Windows 8 and discover that he was in fact installing the Hyper-V Server 2012 or the Hyper-V server 2008.
                Correct although I'm assuming that a downloadable version is possibly a later version than the one on my system.

Originally posted by gerth View Post
                Hyper-V is a feature of windows 8. Server 2012 also has a hyper-v role. The windows 8 version however does need a SLAT capable processor to enable the feature. Server 2012 just needs a processor with virtualisation support.
                My CPU is an Intel core i7/2600K ... I've checked the BIOS and virtualisation is enabled

I'm beginning to wonder if I should rebuild my OS from scratch and make my first post OS build task to enable Hyper-V as it is possible (???) that something I've installed since is causing issues.

Keke
                Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 7th October 2012, 14:04.

Comment

HyperV is a role under Windows 8 -- you do not download anything else
                  See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../hh857623.aspx for the procedure

If you are having major problems, you may want to do a fresh OS install -- enable HyperV straight after installing all the drivers
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just to clarify, the version of Hyper-V you can download and thought you was mentioning will wipe your system. This is the free version of Windows 2012 Hyper-V that assumes that you will run Guest VMs on it that you already own Microsoft licenses for.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...es-air-supply/

As pointed out, in your case, you will install the Hyper-V role if using Windows 2012 (paid for version) and the Client Hyper-V feature if using Windows 8 Client OS.

Comment

Just to clarify, the version of Hyper-V you can download and thought you was mentioning will wipe your system. This is the free version of Windows 2012 Hyper-V that assumes that you will run Guest VMs on it that you already own Microsoft licenses for.
                      You know I really wouldn't mind using such a system as my main machine if there were only a way to use one of the virtual machines directly on the hosting machines own hardware rather than remotely. They [almost] used to have that back in DOS days where you could run several OS's simultaneously and toggle by some weird key combo between them. Unfortunately, at least as far as I know, there is currently no way to run a pure virtual server and client on the same system with no others involved ... Windows 8 gets a lot closer though.

Keke

Comment

SOLVED: Hyper-V On Windows 8

Hi,

So I rebuilt my system last night and early signs are that the problem is solved (my suspicion is that it in some way conflicted with VirtualBox, even though it was later uninstalled) ... I can now run Hyper-V. I've got a couple of issues with it (Hyper-V) but I'll open a separate thread for those.

Many thanks to those who offered advice, I'll add some rep points as soon as I've posted this

Now is there some way I can mark the thread as "SOLVED"? Perhaps if I change the subject on my original posting?

EDIT: Apparently not, oh well

Keke
                        Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 12th October 2012, 08:56.

Comment

There is a procedure in place with regards to when a thread is officially closed but thanks for letting us know that you deem your thread complete and that we have all helped.

Comment

Working...
                          X