Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

am I the only one looking for virtual audio via Hyper-V on Windows 8 client?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am I the only one looking for virtual audio via Hyper-V on Windows 8 client?

Hi all,
    I've read post after post about this on technet, and it's again, another sad case of microsoft not listening to their customers. First of all, who on this board believes in their hearts that having a virtual sound device on Windows 8 Client Hyper-V would be nice? I know I would; if vmWare player supports it just fine and dandy, then why hasn't Microsoft gotten it's head out of the clouds? (no pun intended.) like I've figure that people using Hyper-V on the client side would be using it the way they currently use other client-side virtualization products, and so far, all of those have audio support without needing an RDP connection; I mean really, who's going to RDP into a machine that is virtually hosted on the same computer? For instance, I'll be using vmWare player to virtualize Open Suse and then Windows server 2012, because I don't have time to waste bandwidth on same-computer RDP/SSH/X11 forwarding connections. I can see Microsoft's lack of support for virtual audio on the server; for most people (including me), use RDP to access those connections anyway which can provide Audio if one wants it, but on the client side? Come on! So does anyone agree with me that this is stupid? Does anybody think we should continue to push microsoft to support audio from the host on the client side? Tell me what your thoughts are, for I've been looking forward to having this particular discussion. Blindies; yeah, we kind of need our audio to work.
    Yes, it should
    100.00%
    No, it shouldn't
    0.00%

Re: am I the only one looking for virtual audio via Hyper-V on Windows 8 client?

The server is virtual. You would rarely need a audio device the way I look at it.
    If you want sounds and notifications to play through from the virtual server to your workstation, you can enable audio over RDP, as the sound would be redirected to local PC. Even if the Hyper-V server is isolated from LAN, and you only have the console, the system running that console would still be able to RDP if not mistaken.

I could be wrong however, but this has been my experience.

Comment

Re: am I the only one looking for virtual audio via Hyper-V on Windows 8 client?

I am looking for all the Windows 7 Virtual PC features in Win8 HyperV, including USB Pass Through and getting the apps on TIFKAM

Dutch, point taken, but these are virtual machines running on a desktop OS e.g. legacy apps under XP, so users would not normally want to remote desktop into them, just use the regular connect to VM. Not the same as virtual machines on a server.

Also I'm looking for XP Mode in addition to HyperV to allow my legacy VMs (fellow MCTs will know the ones I am on about) to still run.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I read the post too hastily. Should have noticed it stated Hyper-V on Windows 8 client, not Hyper-V Windows 8 client, which made me presume it was a Win 8 client on a Hyper-V server.
        Also Chromebuster made some valid points in his post.

Would be good on Win8 to get sound yes. I for example still play old Windows 95/98 games from time to time for nostalgic reasons. To run those I virtualise. Would definitely require sound. Same as people who depend on Audio for controlling a system.

Old games and blindness are a small market however. Microsoft might wonder what it is that blind people might wish to do on a legacy system, that they cannot do on Windows 8. It won't be gaming, though I am sure there might be some older apps which help people with eye problems to do what they do. (Not trying to be insensitive)

Best I can recommend is to use a 3rd party software to virtualize legacy windows.
        Oracle Virtual Box for example is free. You can even connect it to your old Win7 VHD if you copied it over.

Comment

Since my main "desktop" is a Virtual Win7 client on Hyper-V, I always RDP to it specifically to get the audio. So what is the problem with using RDP instead of direct Connect? It is just as easy to run and manage, IMHO.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
            The server is virtual. You would rarely need a audio device the way I look at it.

LATER: I read the post too hastily.
            Yeah, I was (possibly now not) going to use a virtual client for coding in Python and the application I am planning to create is a language training package ... I am told most people fall under the kinaesthetic, audio or visual (KAV) styles as learners and guess what you might well need with that?

A virtual client (especially on a client system like Windows needs to have the capability to do audio. I might as well buy a better processor and more RAM for my domain server and make that run my VM's as, if audio is only available by RDP, it seems almost pointless having the VM's on the client.

Keke
            J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
            The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Working...
            X