question about win 2008 & virtualization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about win 2008 & virtualization

i'm planning to instal win server 2008 on Hyper-V as a virtual so i wanna know is there's any viersion of win 2008 is more stable more other i mean is standerd or enterprese or core is more stable on virtualization

Re: question about win 2008 & virtualization

All equally stable - the key differences are in functionality

Note the host OS determines how many "free" VMs you can run on it
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Will you be using Hyper-V R2? Are you doing this for a Company or for your personal use? Is for a specific project you could perhaps give some more details on?

With regards to the OS version, it depends on whether you need redundancy at the Host level. Go for Enterprise if you do, otherwise Standard.

Best practice is to dedicate the Host to Hyper-V only, though it depends on the type of environment and whether you need to install other roles on it.

If you are only using Hyper-V on the Host itself, it would be worth installing the Core edition, which will allow you to make better use of the server resources, reduce the amount you need to patch within the OS and minimise the attack surface. It's just initially takes longer to configure. You would then manage the Host using Hyper-V Management Tools within RSAT installed on a full edition of Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 7.

There is no difference in stability between Standard and Enterprise though arguably, using server core, would make it potentially more stable.

However, I have not noticed any differences with using Hyper-V on a Full v Core edition.
      Last edited by Virtual; 3rd July 2012, 10:10. Reason: Spelling and minor re-wording

Comment

thnx to both of u & i appreciate ur highly respond ... until now i don't have any other information but i'm trying to collect what the client really want & i'll give u a full info about bcoz its first time to use it .... thnx again for ur time
        Last edited by Mousa; 3rd July 2012, 10:11.

Comment

Hey MR Virtial ,

Theses my spec for my HW

one core cpu ( Intel Xeon 4C Processor Model E5620 80W 2.40GHz/1066MHz/12MB)
          8 GB of memory.

is it okay to install Win 2008 Enterprise 64Bit with no problems ?!!

Comment

Yes, it will install fine on those specs
            (I presume you mean "one quad core CPU"?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes ... the product number is 7945K3G IBM

Comment

I concur with Ossian. Bear in mind that you would want to ensure 1GB memory is for the Host, so assume you have 7GB of memory to allocate to Guest VMs.

Comment

Working...
                X