P2V Conversion issue [Was: VSS Hell]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P2V Conversion issue [Was: VSS Hell]

I have a windows XP machine that I would like to do a Hyper-v physical 2 virtual conversion. The beginning step is to analyize the system - which requires that VSS be running on the physical machine.

It's not. and when I try to manually start it in the services.msc, i get an error message with an error code of 2147467243.

When I look in the event viewer, I see:
    Code:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service initialization error: the COM classes cannot be registered [0x80004015].

In my googling, I have found many references on how to fix this for Win2003 servers - but NOTHING (that works) for windows XP.

(yes, I put this in another forum section - but discovered that it probably belongs here).

Re: P2V Conversion issue [Was: VSS Hell]

The double post was deleted (which you had the ability to do) and moved this post/thread from Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro Forum to the Hyper-V Forum.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If it works for 2003, it has a very good chance of working on XP too -- they are basically the same OS
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        If it works for 2003, it has a very good chance of working on XP too -- they are basically the same OS
        The hotfix for 2003 gives an error message of "wrong OS"

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          The double post was deleted (which you had the ability to do) and moved this post/thread from Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro Forum to the Hyper-V Forum.
          Thank you...

Comment

Have you considered an offline P2V? Do you have SCVMM at all or can you download a trial version?

Comment

or try Disk2VHD from SYSInternals?
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                or try Disk2VHD from SYSInternals?
                I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Edit:
                Last edited by CNBarnes; 5th June 2012, 17:11.

Comment

im gonna throw this out there as my solution for everything.

Have you tried a chkdsk ?
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                    Have you considered an offline P2V? Do you have SCVMM at all or can you download a trial version?
                    Have you tried an offline P2V?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                      Have you tried an offline P2V?
                      Yes. Specifically I am following the steps outlined in this youtube video.
                      The Scan step produces:

As you can see - the problem is a failed Volume Shadow Copy Service on the physical machine (didn't I say that from the outset?).

The question that seems impossible to answer is: How do I fix the VSS on the physical machine?

Comment

I have read the fact that the issue is with the Volume Shadow Copy service. I was emphasising whether you have tried an offline P2V, so the Windows XP PC powered off and then booted up to carry out the P2V, so it is effectively offline during the process. Have you been able to test a P2V using another server as well? As suggested, have you considered trying SCVMM? I tend to use SCVMM for P2V.

This is also a useful article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../hh427293.aspx

Are you using SP3?
                        Last edited by Virtual; 6th June 2012, 15:56.

Comment

Working...
                        X