VM IC Time Synchronization Provider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VM IC Time Synchronization Provider

Hello, I have been fighting this problem for a while. I have 4 guest OSes (W2k8 R2) on a W2k8 R2 host with the hyper-v role. 3 of the 4 guests show "VM IC Time Synchronization Provider" as a response to w32tm /query /source however the 4th guest shows "LCSCDC01.leb.k12.in.us,0x9" the DC. All 4 guests are on a domain, and all the registry entries I can see are the same. I have even exported the w32tm keys from one of the guests that is using the VMIC Provider. All have all integration services are offered to all four guests.

Any suggestions? I need the 4th guest to get the continuous sync of the Host as the drift is significant due to the loads on the server... the sync to the DC is not enough.

Thanks.

Re: VM IC Time Synchronization Provider

So the VMs are all Domain members? They should be default get their time from the PDC role holder unless configured otherwise. Can you verify that the latest Integration services are installed? is Hyper-V on the latest service pack? If you review the settings of each VM and see what Integration Services options are ticked? Specifically, time synchronisation. Sometimes you can make the PDC role holder point to a Hyper-V Host to get its external time source and the Time Synchronisation can be unticked in some cases and scenarios, so letting PDC role holder only do the time synchronisation.
    Last edited by Virtual; 18th May 2012, 21:53. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Set the Physical (Host) machine to time sync with an external time source.
      Set the VM PDC Emulator to time sync with the Physical (Host) machine.

Setting a VM DC to time sync with an external time server has resulted in up to a 13 hour time skew in less than a week for me.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
        So the VMs are all Domain members?
        Yes

... Can you verify that the latest Integration services are installed? is Hyper-V on the latest service pack?
        Yes latest Integration Services are installed, and the Host OS is 2008 R2 standard, not the Hyper-V server...

If you review the settings of each VM and see what Integration Services options are ticked? Specifically, time synchronisation.
        Yes, they are all ticked.

Sometimes you can make the PDC role holder point to a Hyper-V Host to get its external time source and the Time Synchronisation can be unticked in some cases and scenarios, so letting PDC role holder only do the time synchronisation.
        This server is not a PDC role holder... it is on the domain, but not available as any kind of resource on the domain. We only put it on the domain when we were attempting to fix the time sync issue.

This Host is NOT on the domain. The four VMs ARE on the domain. The four VMs are running NVR software (Networked Video Recorder). This is why we require the more frequent time sync... if the correction is a NEGATIVE correction it causes big issues with the NVR because the files it is writing are named based on the time... so corrections less than 5 seconds are ok, but greater than 5 sec ESPECIALLY negative corrections are very bad.

3 of the 4 VMS on this host report the VM IC Provider as the source when w32tm is queried, and one shows the domain controller... I just can't figure out what configuration difference there is between the 4.

Thanks again,
        Last edited by mnemonic76; 23rd May 2012, 20:05.

Comment

Originally posted by mnemonic76
          This Host is NOT on the domain.
          Irrelevant.

If I understand your setup (and I'm not sure I do), set the PDC Emulator which I understand is on a physical machine to time sync with an external source (Stratum 2 so you don't upset the Stratum 1 guys).
          The VMs, being on the Domain, should sync with the PDC Emulator. If this doesn't work, get the physical Host to sync with the PDC Emulator and then get the VMs to sync with the Host.

Originally posted by mnemonic76
          This server is not a PDC role holder... it is on the domain, but not available as any kind of resource on the domain. We only put it on the domain when we were attempting to fix the time sync issue.
          What Server are you refering to? Maybe you should make a drawing and post that here.

Apologies Virtual. I didn't see that you had mentioned in Post 2 what I said in Post 3. Bloody glasses.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No probs Biggles. I concur as well. Have you also tested with unticking the Time synchronisation setting? Ticking that will make it use the Host. As they are Domain members, as suggested, best to use the PDC role holder for time source and sync that with an external time source that matches to the time source you need to always be the same as.

After making the change, should the VMs still not use the PDC role holder, just a case of troubleshooting that. Google has loads of articles on how to manually get it to sync with the PDC role holder. Removing and joining the VM back to the Domain may do the trick.

Comment

Working...
            X