Guest OS performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guest OS performance

I need to compare two of our like for like Virtual Machines running 2008 in terms of CPU, Disk, Memory, etc but using the PerfMon has not really proved anything.

Having searched around for a free decent utility, could anyone recommend something because one is more sluggish and less responsive than the other.

Both have the same apps installed, pretty much and the issues relating to this go back a while.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Guest OS performance

Seems as if you aren't getting a response to this one at the moment. Can you let us know that Hyper-V environment setup and reasons behind obtaining this information? We could perhaps point you in the right direction. Furthermore, have you been running Perfmon within the VM or on the Hyper-V server? From a separate server?

Comment

You could say that.

All that I've been doing so far is general usage and basic testing. I'm going to be using perfmon to have a look at the virtual processor utilization but must be overlooking something because I cannot see 'hyper-v hypervisor logical processor performance counter' on thr guest OS.

Am I missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
        You could say that.

All that I've been doing so far is general usage and basic testing. I'm going to be using perfmon to have a look at the virtual processor utilization but must be overlooking something because I cannot see 'hyper-v hypervisor logical processor performance counter' on thr guest OS.

Am I missing something here?
        Ignore, I'm being daft again.

Comment

No probs. So anything we can assist with at the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            No probs. So anything we can assist with at the moment?
            Here's where I am, we have two identical 2008 TS's (apart from one having .net4 installed)

One is behaving very slow, such as RD login and generally moving around the GUI.

I decided to shutdown the other VM's on the Hyper-V Server to rule out any issues which the Hypervisors having previously checked the Hypervisor Logical Processor Total run time and could not see anything suspicous.

I noticed a few days ago the process msiexec.exe seemed to be hogging a lot of CPU resources (50%).

Having rebooted the TS and only me connected and setting my remote session (using not local resources) I could see several instances of msiexec and compared this to the other server. Pretty much everything matched apart from this one named process.

Everytime I ended one msiexec process, another would start, sometimes two or three.

Although at times it does not seem to be running I also noticed another msiexec process but with cpu 00 (I understand msiexec does create sub processes of itself). I'm not totally convinced that ending the process has completed removed it from memory.

Looking at the process left, I can see a couple of other process quite high for CPU , but these are pretty much the same as the other server.

So, I'm investigating what is using msiexec, why it continues to re-process when I kill it.

Using a mixture of process explorer, event viewer 'apps' and task manager, but nothing conclusive as yet. Unfortunately it doesn't help as it's a live server and don't really want to dump everyone onto the other one.

I'll welcome any suggestions though to help me speed this up.
            Last edited by marcopolo; 25th May 2012, 09:16.

Comment

msiexec is an installer of some sort.

Is the server up to date with updates???

Anything that you are aware of being installed on the machine???

You could look at something like process monitor and see if what the msiexec file is.

Comment

I knew msiexec was an installer and wonder whether its from an incomplete install.

Historically, we do have windows updates enabled.

I'll give process monitor a try, thanks.
                Last edited by marcopolo; 28th May 2012, 15:47.

Comment

Ok, update on this.

I've noticed that on the slow VM, the msiserver service seems to be starting upon a remote login, this is not the case on the other TS VM.

Both service settings are set the same for both.

Comment

How did you get on with Process Monitor and comparing the two TS servers?

Were the two TS servers originally created from the same template?

Is the MSIEXEC service you talk about on the Hyper-V Host or on the TS VM that you have issues with?

Worth carrying out a spyware scan of the problem TS server and doing the usual checks of an effected server to rule that out.

Furthermore, you mention that it appears to happen when you RDP onto the TS server. I take it users use Microsoft RDP Client and not another 3rd Party to connect to the TS server? Have you logged on the Console via Hyper-V manager, so in effect, as if you are physically at the server itself and see if the process appears?

Comment

Process Monitor - not very well, it just wasn't conclusive and seemed to give me different results each time. I was hoping to see what was launching it.

Template, not too sure but I recall creating the slow one from the other one, but can't say for sure.

msiexec is on the VM's

I did read about malware but the filesize, where it's running from is from system32 matches that of the other server.

Yep, MS RDP and same via Hyper-V Manager using admin

Comment

I thought maybe it was related to MSIInstaller entries I found in the application log

Product: 32 Bit HP BiDi Channel Components Installer -- Configuration completed successfully.

Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: 32 Bit HP BiDi Channel Components Installer. Product Version: 1.1.0.2. Product Language: 1033. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.

Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\HPZBDI3 2.MSI. Client Process Id: 6644.
                        Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\HPZBDI3 2.MSI. Client Process Id: 6644.

I found something on Experts Exchange with related to it http://www.experts-exchange.com/Micr..._24665232.html

That said, the same events appear on the other TS but not as often.

Comment

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
                          Process Monitor - not very well, it just wasn't conclusive and seemed to give me different results each time. I was hoping to see what was launching it.

Template, not too sure but I recall creating the slow one from the other one, but can't say for sure.

msiexec is on the VM's

I did read about malware but the filesize, where it's running from is from system32 matches that of the other server.

Yep, MS RDP and same via Hyper-V Manager using admin
                          When using ProcMon, it is worth using the below as well;
                          • File Summary
                          • Filters by right clicking on each process including and excluding it from results. 
                          • Use the process name to filter results as well.

Comment

Tried this first, but it's made no difference http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...eriesId=412144

Can't really identify anything with ProMon, even that runs very slow.

Comment

Noticed something interesting. After comparing Programs and Features, one server had 192 updates installed (slow server), the other only 65 so they are not as configured as I was lead to believe.

Going to remove the updates that do not exist on the other server and take it from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X