• Add Usb drive to Hyper-v

i install windows server and then install hyper-v
    on hyper-v i install windows xp
    i was on windows xp(on hyper-v)
    when connect my flash i cant see my flash drive
    and then i understand my flash doesn't work on hyper-v
    someone is to help me

Re: Add Usb drive to Hyper-v

You understand correctly -- HyperV guests cannot pick up USB devices on the host (Unlike Windows 7 Virtual PC, which can

You could try sharing it on the host and seeing if the guest can see it as a UNC path.
    Alternatively you could connect from the host to the guest using RDP (will need compatible network settings) and use \\tsclient\driveletter -- that definitely works
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks a lot

Comment

Flash drives that are seen as removable don't work but USB external disks do - but not as you'd think.
        Go into disk manager on the host/parent. Mark the External disk as offline. Go in to the settings of the guest/child VM and add a SCSI adaptor. Add a disk to the SCSI adapter and choose the physical disk that you marked off-line.
        It will then shortly appear in the VM if it s running.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Cool -- you learn something new every day
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you are dedicating the external drive to a VM then you can do the pass through disk as recommended by Teiger. When you want to temporarily pass something through to a VM, on the physical PC or server I am remoting from, I use the RDP Client and configure the Local Resources section and specifically, the Local Devices and Resources. If it appears there, I tick the device/resource and then connect to the VM. It would then appear within Computer (My Computer for XP)

Comment

thanks a lot

Comment

You don't have to "dedicate" the drive to the VM - since it can be reversed at any time. It's not as easy as Eject USB Drive from the system tray, but it's sufferable.
                I have a 3TB External drive that frequently gets shifted from VM to VM as required - and it sits on the network the rest of the time!
                TIA

sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Yes, it can be swapped around to different VMs. I was mentioning dedicating as when it has been mapped through to a VM it can only be used by that VM until you decide to remove it and re-associate with another VM.

Comment

OK I understand what you mean, but it can always be accessed over the network as \\<CurrentVM>\M$ by the administrator account. (I always allocate this drive as Drive M: - hence the M$. It may of course get assigned another letter, unless you always reassign it like I do)
                    TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X