hyper-v vms not starting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hyper-v vms not starting

I have a problem. I am in home environment. My hyperv was running fine untill I shut down the laptop without shutting down the running vms. Now when I start the vm, its window displays a black screen saying connecting to "vm name" but actually it never connect starts the vm. I have tried restarting the services from hyper-v console and also checked retsarting hyper-v image management service,hyper-v network management service and hyper-v virtual machine management service. Please help. I am struck
    I tried to build a new vm to see,but same thing,same black screen saying connecting to the vm name but it never connects
    Thanks
    Last edited by biggles77; 29th April 2012, 16:14. Reason: Added a space after several fullstops to make for easier reading

Re: hyper-v vms not starting

Can you verify whether the Hyper-V host is domain joined. Have you verified Firewall settings in case they have changed or if the Firewall is on. If the Firewall is on, turn it off and test. When you have powered on the VMs, have you tried connecting to it via Hyper-V Management console and via MSTSC?

Comment

What operating system are you running on your laptop?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
        Can you verify whether the Hyper-V host is domain joined. Have you verified Firewall settings in case they have changed or if the Firewall is on. If the Firewall is on, turn it off and test. When you have powered on the VMs, have you tried connecting to it via Hyper-V Management console and via MSTSC?

No Hyper-v host has never been joined to domain.It worked before 5 months on same laptop.No firewall is not on,it is home network.Via mstsc it does not connect. I once reformatted the drive,reinstalled the hyper-v. it started working then when I shut down my host machine. And start the host machine again, The VMS donot connect.It opens hyper-v, opens the VM Window Console. On Start it says VM Start succeeded.and it then displays black screen saying connecting to VMNAME but it never connects. All 3 Hyper-V Services have been restarted,no Affect.I am struck, Please help
        Last edited by naubahi; 30th April 2012, 04:35.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          What operating system are you running on your laptop?

been running hyper-v on same laptop with server 2008r2 for 5 months without any problems untill today. All 3 hyper-v services are running fine

Comment

Can you contact the VM in other ways (ping, rdp...)
            If you build a new VM, does that work as expected

(trying to narrow the issue down to the VM or hyperV)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Can you contact the VM in other ways (ping, rdp...)
              If you build a new VM, does that work as expected

(trying to narrow the issue down to the VM or hyperV)
              No, I cannot ping or remote desktop to vms. I cannot build a new vm from dvd os. When I reinstall the hyper-v it works only few times,few times reinstall also does not help. As soon as I shut down the Host machine OS, and after some time when I restart it, The VMS donot start. The VM's windows open. It displays successfully started the VM,with VM Status of "Running" but at same time displays the message in black that "Connecting to VM-Name" but never connects.Never had any problem, the same laptop,same os.
              Last edited by naubahi; 30th April 2012, 16:24.

Comment

Probably a daft question, but you have checked virtualisation IS enabled in the BIOS?

IIRC there are two settings -- virtualisation onand some other setting also on
                http://blogs.technet.com/b/iftekhar/...n-hyper-v.aspx

also make sure that, if you change the BIOS, you shut down fully (not just reboot) for hyper-v to pick up the changes
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Are you running SP1? Also, have you reviewed the event viewer for errors etc? Just wondering if a Microsoft update has caused an issue, driver update?

Comment

Probably a daft question, but you have checked virtualisation IS enabled in the BIOS?

IIRC there are two settings -- virtualisation onand some other setting also on
                    http://blogs.technet.com/b/iftekhar/...n-hyper-v.aspx

also make sure that, if you change the BIOS, you shut down fully (not just reboot) for hyper-v to pick up the changes

This laptop has been running hyper-v for a long time. I did check these settings,it is ok

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                      Are you running SP1? Also, have you reviewed the event viewer for errors etc? Just wondering if a Microsoft update has caused an issue, driver update?

surprisingly the event viewer does not give any major error or warnings except that the vm integration tools is outdated for the vm. I am running server2008r2 which probably no more requires integration tools.

Ok this is now what I did.I started all the services on my laptop.Yes,All the services. I will disable them one by one except for the hyper-v dependent services and hyper-v services. Also I removed the Malwarebytes and Antivirus. I also changed the Account for hyper-v from the system managed to administrator and then restarted the service. And then changed it back from administrator to back to System Managed Account. Bingo, so far, I have shut down my system, and gone to work,came back from work, the hyper-v is running now and so far it has not stopped like It used to happen when I used to shut down the host computer, and restart it to work, the hyper-v vm maachines would display that it started but actually it kept displaying message connecting to VMNAME but ultimately it would time out

I will update if I have the same problem returns and I have not been able to fix it

Thank you very very much for your help
                      Last edited by naubahi; 1st May 2012, 02:30.

Comment

Can you connect to the VMs from the HyperV management console on another system?
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Can you connect to the VMs from the HyperV management console on another system?

thank you. after following steps in my last post its running fine now. No, I donot have any other machine capable of running hyper-v so I can try connecting it. This is the only machine at my home environment

Comment

Doesnt need to be a hyper-v host, just Win7 with RSAT installed
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Doesnt need to be a hyper-v host, just Win7 with RSAT installed

I will surely do try it from a VM Windows 7 machine and post results. Interestingly, yesterday again I reinstalled the Antivirus and the problem came back. Today I could not start VM's then I uninstalled the antivirus and the problem went away. I will test it for 2-3 days if it runs fine.I will intentionally reinstall the antivirus and then I will be 100 percent sure whether its antivirus definitions that are interfering with hyper-v

Comment

Working...
                              X