Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rig for Hyper-V lab

Hi,
    I am looking for a rig to install Server 2008 on, enable the Hyper-V role and start installing some hosts for learning and certification purposes only.
    There is only likely to be the following running at any one time:

SBS 2011, Win XP and Win 7 client.
    Server 2008 DC, Server 2008 File and print, Win 7 client.

Appreciate any thoughts on this type of thing appreciated:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ML150-G...ht_4522wt_1344

Edit: Forgot to say i will add separate disks for VM's and a 4 port nic card for the vm's to communicate with one another.
    Last edited by biggles77; 28th April 2012, 18:24. Reason: URL changed

Re: Rig for Hyper-V lab

I just bought a Dell PowerEdge T110 for this very purpose. I actually bought 2 of them: 1 for vSphere 5 and 1 for W2K8R2 w/ Hyper-V. I've got a Dell Inspiron 545 desktop running openfiler presenting iSCSI storage to both T110's.

Comment

yep, a T110 would go well.
      I've actually got a HP Microserver that I use with HyperV - you can't run SBS as a guest on it though, the max physical memory is 8GB.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi, you don't need 4 nics, 2 will be enough, one for the host and the other for all the VM, You will create a Virtual Switch in Hyper-V, so each of your VM will have it's on IP address even with only 1 nic, I run 4 Hyper-V host server in my lab, I use 4 AMD 1090t six core CPU and 16 gb of ram in each, I run SCVMM in another server ( library server ) so I can move a VM from one host to the other, I manage SCVMM from a Workstation, on this WS I also use Desktop Remote Connection Manager, to access the VM. My San is a cheap $ 200 Synology, it does the job for a lab

here my lab setup, the bottom PC are the house family PCs. Please note the Host server picture show a group of 4 servers, it's only one server, the 4 represent VM.

Last edited by aqualab; 21st April 2012, 02:19.

Comment

if it's only for a lab, I'd be inclined to suggest you don't even need two NICs..

best practice calls for separating.. but.. the sort of load you're talkin about won't matter
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Many thanks for the input on this!

Jo - A Dell T110 looks more appealing, so will probably go for one over the ML. I plan to use ESX also, although will flatten the original install of 2K8 with Hyper-V when used it as much as i need i feel to.
            Will take a look at open filer, thanks!

Tehcamel - I think ive worked on physical installs of SBS 2011 with more than 8GB so did a search and this MS article states 32GB is the maximum.

Aqualab - Looks like a nice set-up you have there! Point taken about the nic's. Taking a look at synology now.

Comment

Sorry I misexplained what I meant.

The ,icroserver itself only. Supports 8gv so there. Is t enough ram free for sbs after u put hyperv on there

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
                URL Now removed by Simonssays
                Hi Simonsays, please replace the TinyURL with a full URL. While I may trust your Tiny due to your site contributions we can't always say that from first time posters and their TinyURL may lead to a malicious site. For that reason we are not allowing Tinys on the site.

Thanks for you understanding and co-operation.
                Last edited by Virtual; 28th April 2012, 19:46. Reason: To remove Tiny URL
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
                  Hi,
                  I am looking for a rig to install Server 2008 on, enable the Hyper-V role and start installing some hosts for learning and certification purposes only.
                  There is only likely to be the following running at any one time:

SBS 2011, Win XP and Win 7 client.
                  Server 2008 DC, Server 2008 File and print, Win 7 client.

Appreciate any thoughts on this type of thing appreciated:

URL now removed by Simonsays

Edit: Forgot to say i will add separate disks for VM's and a 4 port nic card for the vm's to communicate with one another.
                  Some good advice already made. It depends on the certificates you are preparing for. If they are Hyper-V related, I would be tempted to set it up using Best Practices and setup a CSV volume as well. If not, then you can keep it simple and have the 1 NIC. I would be tempted to use Parent-Child relationships for each type of VM. You would build up each base Parent VM with each type of system and then make the VHD Read Only. You would then build VMs using the Read Only VHD as the Parent.
                  Last edited by Virtual; 28th April 2012, 19:46.

Comment

Openfiler has issues with persistent reservations (unless you're using paid version) critical to suppor Hyper-V R2. Do you have live migration and HA working flawlessly with it? How hard do you push your test bed?

-nismo

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                    I just bought a Dell PowerEdge T110 for this very purpose. I actually bought 2 of them: 1 for vSphere 5 and 1 for W2K8R2 w/ Hyper-V. I've got a Dell Inspiron 545 desktop running openfiler presenting iSCSI storage to both T110's.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                      Sorry I misexplained what I meant.

The Microserver itself only. Supports 8GB so there. Is it enough ram free for sbs after u put hyperv on there
                      Since the MicroServer is "hard coded" to 8GB RAM, you could always try ReadyBoost to tip you over the required 8GB for SBS 2011.

I have looked and several people have got ReadyBoost working with both Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2. It is obviously not ideal but not much choice when the MicroServer is limited to just 8GB.

If you are considering doing a lot of Virtual testing then you could purchase a midrange machine and fill it with RAM. I put 16GB in a case 18 months ago ans spent about AUD$640 on it (no monitor), an i380 CPU, AUD$65 Motherboard and a 1TB WD Green. Performance was not a factor. It ran SBS 2008 ok and even with a Domain of 3 Servers and a Win7 Client is is not too laggy.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        Hi Simonsays, please replace the TinyURL with a full URL. While I may trust your Tiny due to your site contributions we can't always say that from first time posters and their TinyURL may lead to a malicious site. For that reason we are not allowing Tinys on the site.

Thanks for you understanding and co-operation.
                        Sorry for the delay in replying - been working away since posting!
                        Just removed it now, although i cannot remove the one in Biggles post.
                        Thanks for the input on this! Just taken delivery of a T100.
                        Cheers.
                        Last edited by simonsays; 28th April 2012, 14:23.

Comment

Thanks for posting back and let us know how you get on. I have now removed the Tiny Urls from Biggles and my post.

Comment

Working...
                          X