Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSV Storage

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anyone has come across a similar issue to myself.

I've setup a pretty simple hyper-v environment with 2 hyper-v servers in a failover cluster connected to our iscsi storage. This is working quite nicely, all the VMs are stored in the cluster shared volume located in its default location c:\clusterstorage

Having a really weird problem! I'm trying to clone a VM into c:\clusterstorage but i'm getting a lack of disk space error message:
    There is insufficient disk space on the volume C:\ to complete placement of the virtual machine.

Free 406.00 MB of disk space on the volume C:\, or choose a different volume to continue with the placement.

ID: 3510
    The cluster shared volume is online and has a total of 1.5tb free space so there isn't a disk space issue, but the C: drive of the OS (the only thing on c: is the hyper-v OS) wouldn't have enough space to host this VM which would make sense for the error message. (70gb free on c:, total size of VM to clone is about 70gb)

Problem is - should the free space on C: include the amount of free space in the CSV, making the total free space on C: over 1.5tb!

The CSV isn't assigned to a drive letter btw, the only volume assigned to drive letters is the C: and the witness disk/Quorum, Q:

Thanks guys!
    Chris
    Last edited by Wired; 20th April 2012, 02:06. Reason: fixed up quote

Re: CSV Storage

When you choose to place the VM, are you using a sub-folder of C:\clusterstorage? I take it the CSV volume was activated via the Cluster Manager? Has the disk or iScsi volume to be used for the CSV also been configured?

Comment

Hey

Thanks for the reply.

Correct, I volume was activated via the cluster manager. Within the c:\clusterstorage their is one folder - Volume1

Under Volume1 is another folder called Hyper-V which I created to store all my virtual machines.

The iscsi volume has been configured. The clustering is working, I have about 10 VMs in this cluster which are working. The failover works nicely, live migration works nicely etc.

To me this seems like a CSV bug. Its as if Windows explorer has no idea how much disk space is left on the CSV, only how much disk space is left on the C:\ when clusterstorage has been configed to be in c:\clusterstorage

I imagine what the solution would be is to give the CSV a separate drive letter, making windows explorer realise how much disk space is left, but I don't know if you can do that.

Comment

please excuse me for askin what may seem to be a stupid question...

you're trying to copy a VMDK onto a cluster-shared-volume, which is mounted as a directory junction point.

Obviously, this is a cluster.. so two (or more) nodes may have access to this CSV at any one time.
        However, in reality that's not quite how the cluster works, if I understand correctly:

1 node will normally have full access, the other won't have any control over it.

So.... the node you're trying to create the new VMDK on.. does this have the quorum ?

(and again - I could be well on the wrong track here...)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post

you're trying to copy a VMDK onto a cluster-shared-volume, which is mounted as a directory junction point.

Obviously, this is a cluster.. so two (or more) nodes may have access to this CSV at any one time.
          However, in reality that's not quite how the cluster works, if I understand correctly:

1 node will normally have full access, the other won't have any control over it.
          That is not how a CSV works. All cluster members can read and write simultaneous to a Cluster Shared Volume. CSV's are automatically mounted under the c:\clusterstorage folder.
          gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

thanks
            good to know when im wrong
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Sorry for just responding. How are you ypu cloning the VM? For example, are you using SCVMM, Hyper-V Manager, just copying the VM files themselves? Are you specifically also trying to place the VM within the Volume1 folder and not the clusterstorage folder?

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all who responded trying to help.

I was using SCVMM to clone the VM. Its weird because it passed the first past of the clone "Select a host for the virtual machine" with the rating explanation, but it just ended up saying a lack of space on C: towards the end of the wizard.

As a workaround I reduced the size of the VM by removing the snapshots so the total size of the VM was less than the amount of free space on the C: drive of the hyper-v server and the cloning completely without errors.

Bit of a strange issue - I just hope I never have to clone a massive VM! Incidently, migrations of VM's larger than the free space of the C: migrate without any issues.

I haven't installed SP1 on the hyper-V servers so thats probably worth a shot, as is waiting for hyper-v to become a bit more mainstream (!!) as other admins must have had similar issues. Alternatively convince my organisation to get a useful virtualization environment such as vmware

One more point, the hyper-v server I was trying to clone the VM to (vm05) was the active CSV server and the active Quorum/Witness disk server. TehCamel - when there is a cluster shared volume I think I read somewhere that whilst both servers have access to the CSV, the passive server has access to the CSV at a reduced bandwidth and isn't really to be used to transferring large files.

Chris

Comment

I see. And the placement was on a Hyper-V Host and not the SCVMM library. I haven't ever encountered this issue but do use SP1 on all Hyper-V Hosts. Thanks for keeping us updated. Let us know if SP1 makes a difference. What SCVMM version are you using?

Comment

Version 2.0.4521.0 SP1

Its a good piece of software.

Comment

I see. SCVMM 2008 R2 SP1 I believe you are using then. It is good. I often use it to manage VMware as well and V2V and P2V, should the customer have Hyper-V and VMware and/or wish to transition to Hyper-V.

Comment

Working...
                      X