Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and Cons of SBS 2000 P2V to 2008 Hyper V

Hi all,

Currently I have an very old server which is running on SBS 2000 and I am considering P2V my SBS 2000 to 2008 Hyper V.

I would like to weigh the pros and cons of converting it to a VM or should I just run it off a physical machine.

Please help to advise.

THanks

Re: Pros and Cons of SBS 2000 P2V to 2008 Hyper V

A lot of unanswered questions:
    What spec is the P server (and how old is the HW)?
    Do you have a suitable hyper-v host?
    What P2V software were you planning on.

IMHO, get rid of SBS 2000 if you can -- it is obsolete, past end of life and SBS 2011 is so much better!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      A lot of unanswered questions:
      What spec is the P server (and how old is the HW)?
      Do you have a suitable hyper-v host?
      What P2V software were you planning on.

IMHO, get rid of SBS 2000 if you can -- it is obsolete, past end of life and SBS 2011 is so much better!
      Hi Ossian,

Thanks for the reply. Basically the server is about 10 years old which i do not have the chance to find out what kind of hardwarecurrently the SBS 2000 is sitting on.
      Client wanted to have a server(capable one) with 2008 HyperV install and convert the current SBS 2000 to a virtual machine to sit on the hyperV server.
      I am weighing the pros and cons of this as client wants to save costs.
      I am trying to persuade the client to get rid of the SBS 2000, but they want to know what are the pros and cons about it.

I hope you will be able to understand what I am trying to say.

Comment

You should be ok with this scenario. If it is old hardware and potentially you'll have to migrate it to new hardware anyway or upgrade to a new version, you could migrate to Hyper-V and buy a new server for Hyper-V. Virtualisation is the way a number of Companies are now going.

However, having migrated to Hyper-V, I would still seriously consider getting them to upgrade the OS anyway from a support point of view.

If they are only ever going to have 1 server to do everything, it could be a more expensive solution as you certainly need to be updating the SBS server at some point in the next year.
        Last edited by Virtual; 3rd April 2012, 12:30.

Comment

Thanks to all for helping me with my questions. I will find way to brainwash the customer to upgrade its OS to SBS 2011. My client just wanna save the cost of upgrading the OS.

Comment

it;s not about brainwashing. It's about Return on Investment, and Fit For Purpose.

I'm pretty sure that, even if you can P2V SBS2000, it'll be unsupported by Microsoft (sbs2003 is not supported as a virtual iirc)
            Which means, if there's something that's beyond your level of ability, then you'll need to go to microsoft PSS, who will say "sorry, not no way, not no how."

Incidently, W2000 is now so old, that even on a physical host, I think you'd struggle to find microsoft supporting it.

Your client is interested in keeping costs down. ask them how much it would cost, if someone finds an exploit in a 10 year old operating system. And the vendor is no longer developing patches for that operating system.
            How much will it cost your client then, once all their corporate data is stolen and ends up on wikileaks?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              it;s not about brainwashing. It's about Return on Investment, and Fit For Purpose.

I'm pretty sure that, even if you can P2V SBS2000, it'll be unsupported by Microsoft (sbs2003 is not supported as a virtual iirc)
              Which means, if there's something that's beyond your level of ability, then you'll need to go to microsoft PSS, who will say "sorry, not no way, not no how."

Incidently, W2000 is now so old, that even on a physical host, I think you'd struggle to find microsoft supporting it.

Your client is interested in keeping costs down. ask them how much it would cost, if someone finds an exploit in a 10 year old operating system. And the vendor is no longer developing patches for that operating system.
              How much will it cost your client then, once all their corporate data is stolen and ends up on wikileaks?

Hi tehcamel,

Thanks for the advice. I will try to say the same thing to the client and see what they say. I actually actually told them about the patches and support. but they just do not want to listen and insist on using SBS 2000. Maybe they are just not happy for paying for a software.
              Anyway thanks for the advise....

Comment

You just need to tell them, this is NOT Supported.
                It's not a supported operating system, and it's definitely NOT supported on a HyperV solution.

Push the issue by saying you cannot support it.

Provide them with a cost-benefits-analysis, showing them the total breakdown of a new environment cost.
                Include in that, all the additional added benefits they get, and how this will benefit their business and decrease their total cost of ownership.

Then, show them what the current solution will cost, with you needing to repair it constantly, at an extravagent rate.

Include with that, a breakdown of what it costs them, per hour, if the server is irrevocable broken, and not supportable by the vendor, and cannot be repaired.

Ask the business what it will cost them, if their server is down and unfixable for 24 hours. What about 3 days? What about 5 days?
                What if, in the process of trying to resolve a catastrophic failure on a non-supported system, they lose critical commercial data.
                what will it cost them then ?

You need to put it across in terms they understand. Business sees IT as a money hole. Until things go wrong. So you need to make them see the size the hole will be, when things do go wrong (and on this system, it will.)

better yet. just tell them your research tells you that it cannot be done.
                Last edited by tehcamel; 4th April 2012, 04:48.
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Or let the move over to a Linux Operating system and let them pay the costs to study for it, mastering it, etc. Linux is a fine operating system but can end to be quite costly to really mastering it.

Anyhow, if a vendor stops supporting a operating system it's a fine to say so.
                  If a customer insist you to support it, I would place it back and say: good luck with it.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                  X