Hyper-V Server NIC Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Server NIC Drivers

I'm at a total loss here for why this is so hard! I'm working on a demo of Hyper-V to potentially replace our dated Virtual Iron setup. A major criteria for me is to get the free Hyper-V Server 08 R2 working on our current PowerEdge 1950s.

So I have one of the most common generic servers around, with typical Broadcom NICs, and even more typical Intel add in NICs and the OS found zero NICs on install. I've dug around and read various guides or tips for this and gotten no where. Has anyone delt with installing NIC drivers in Hyper-V Server / Core?

Re: Hyper-V Server NIC Drivers

You should be able to download the drivers from Dell's site. You should be able to install them as you would on other systems.

For the Broadcoms you can use the BACS gui to do the configuration, for the Intel NIC's you'll need to use the PROset cli to configure them.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Download and install the driver through command line..

to verify it, from another computer, use MMC - computer management and connect to your Hyper V systems and find it under device managaer (read only). you also need to open firewall port.

for easy configuration, download a program called coreconfig (http://coreconfig.codeplex.com/) , this makes your life easier some basic GUI...

Comment

Even though you are only at the PoC stage, look at NIC teaming as well and locating/setting up appropriate software.

Comment

I'll try to give a breakdown as to what I've tried already.

- Drivers from Dell's site, they execute from CLI and complete but no NICs found
          - Drivers from OEM, same result
          - Intel drivers installed via CLI silent, same result
          - Core Config I've played with, doesn't show the Intel NICs at all
          - Can't remote device manager on this 1950, as there are no NICs at all. I did use this method testing on a Optiplex workstation.

Searching around it seems I'm not alone at all. Many report no NICs or 1 NIC (from a multiple port card). I guess I'm just dumbfounded as to why 1. MS made this version so difficult to work with driver wise (Device manage really needs to be omited?!), and 2. no OEMs make drivers for Core when it's been around as long as it has?!

Comment

I have used drivers on Dell R710s and R810s in Hyper-V Server.

There are some issues, especially when adding additional NICs after the initial configuration but I do have it working in production.

I have not tried it on a 1950.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Ok feeling like a total putz here. Yesterday did full 2008 on the 1950 to see everything working, it was. Did a fresh install of Hyper-V server just now.

Boots up, all NICs are there. All Intel and Broadcom are detected, nothing to do but use it...zero drivers installed by me.

Hell in other news I've been fighting with CentOS 6 in Hyper-V and NICs (legacy and Synth) and just got that to work with random re-install as well. One of those days I guess...

Comment

If you want to use any of the advanced features of the NICs you'll need to install the drivers. (teaming, VDMq, etc)

Glad you got it working.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                X