Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOST Server which contain VM

Hello,

I would like to have some opinion about the Scenario below...

1 HOST server which contain 2 Virtual Machines.

First Virtual Machine is SBS 2008 our DC with Exchange 2007, the second VM is an application server/Sql server.

The Host Server is on a workgroup and the two VMs are both on Domain.

Can the Host server be joined to the domain?

Regards,

Jerry LP

Re: HOST Server which contain VM

As long as the host server does not run services that depend on a directory controller, it will be fine. If you run hyper-v as a cluster you need a dc to fire up the cluster.
    gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Moved from certification forum to HyperV
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would not join the host to the domain in this situation since the DC is dependent on the host. If you want to join host machines to the domain I would have at least one physical DC.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Best practices for SBS say do not join the host to the domain.
          The reasoning: you start the host first and there is no DC for it to log into as the DC (SBS) is a guest inside the host.
          Just remember to manage your Windows Updates separately fot the host.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

And note you can use WSUS with a non-domain member if you import a registry file
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello All,

Thank you very much for helping me on taking a decision.

The sole reason for me to join the HOST to the Domain is that, we have implemented Backup Exec as backup solution and we need to create a backup job to backup the Exchange from the SBS 2008 and would probably be able to restore individual items and email messages. We could not install the Exchange management tools to the HOST server as it is not part of the domain.

Hope you understand my situation.

Please Help on solving this issue.

Many thanks in advance.

Jerry LP

Comment

Sorry but I don't understand... what does the host have to do with backing up the SBS VM? Are you trying to backup to the host?

If you're trying to backup the SBS server to some space on the host, why not just create another VHD and backup to that? It's the same difference since it's still on the same physical hardware. But you should really get your backups to different hardware and offsite.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

i think he wants to do GRT-style backups of the mailboxes on the SBS Server.
                  However, he wants to use the VMHost as the backup server, and cannot install Exchange tools because it's not part of the domain.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You don't install the Exchange tools on the host. If you are using Backup Exec you install an Exchange Remote Agent on the SBS server. When you define your backup job, you create an account in Backup Exec that has the SBS logon credentials.

If you want to back up the VM you need a Hyper-V Remote Agent.
                    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

IIRC The Backup exec Exchange Agent also requires some exchange functionality on the main Backup Exec server -- certainly the MAPI CDO and maybe the management tools

@OP -- can you set up another physical DC (perhaps on an old workstation or even laptop to allow you to attach the HyperV box to the domain?
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

[QUOTE]
                        IIRC The Backup exec Exchange Agent also requires some exchange functionality on the main Backup Exec server -- certainly the MAPI CDO and maybe the management tools

This information is entirely incorrect. Although this information is covered in the Backup Exec user manual (eliminating the need for guesswork), I will share my first-hand experience from the last 11 Hyper-V networks I have installed, either SBS 2008 or SBS 2011.

The Backup Exec 2010 R3 server on a Hyper-V host only requires the Agent for Windows Server and the Agent for Exchange Server. If you want to back up the VMs you need the Agent for Hyper-V.

Comment

I will bow to your first hand experience -- I have a definite recollection of struggling with BUExec for Exchange 2007 and having to install the MAPI CDO and tools as part of it, but could not say which version of BUExec this was for -- probably 12.5

EDIT - Symantec seem to say the management tools are required for BUExec 2010 R3:
                          http://www.symantec.com/business/sup...&id=HOWTO24128
                          To back up Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010, you must install the Exchange Management Tools for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 on the media server. The management tools on the media server must be the same version or later as the management tools that are on the Exchange Server 2007/2010
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

I wonder if they refer to a stand-alone Exchange server? My experience has only been with SBS 2008 and SBS 2011 in a Hyper-V environment. A few customers have a VM with a BES installed on it and I had to install the MAPI/CDO tools on that. Anyway, to confirm on a Hyper-V server it only needs the Exchange Agent. Thanks.

Comment

Take a look at this Symantec support thread. The Hyper-V host is not a part of the domain so you would not be able to install the MAPI/CDO tools. The thread goes on to point out the error in the Symantec documentation.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/foru...ckup-exec-2010

Comment

Working...
                              X