Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Implementation planning

Hi,

My Company is in plan to implement ERP application SAP ECC 6.0.
    I would like gather information about Hardware Details which will help me to implement this setup with Best performance and redundancy too.

I want to maintain two servers with using windows 2008 Hyper v. Each server should capable to maintain the load of four Guest Server operating system.

What level of hardware I need to purchase,What Windows Licencing I need for same.

Re: New Implementation planning

Get a good SAP consultant to advise you
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm going to say each server should have:

4 x 6-core CPUs - get the absolute top of the line, fastest you can find.
      a minimum of 256GB of RAM in each server
      for the base OS drive, a RAID10 volume comprising of 4x300GB (or there abouts) Solid State Drives

for the data partition, a RAID5, consisting of 4x3GTB SATA2 drives. (It's important to get Sata2 for this, not SAS or SATA3.)
      a Quad Port 10GigE network card in each server.

Because you want to use two hyperV servers, you probably also need a shred disk back end, so get an EMC Symmetrix, with at least 2 trays, and 4 Fibre channel connectors for each tray.
      Put each fibre channel connector on it;'s own fibre channel switch.
      Add another 2 4-port Fibre channel card in each server

You should also try and find a matrox double-head video card driver for each server, so it can support two users at once.

Of course, my recommendation has about as much value as you have paid me for it, and is based on a similar value of information based on what you've told us.

(IE, I completely agree with Ossian. You don't have the level of competency to do this by yourself.)
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I have been in the planning and research stage for a Consoma ERP system for my customer. This is an SQL Server based ERP system and in a Hyper-V environment, the disk I/O is the biggest deciding factor over RAM and CPU. I would suggest RAID-10, 15k SAS drives and a good RAID controller. For example, if it was a Dell server I would use an H700 PERC over an S100. Whatever is left over put into RAM and CPUs.
        Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Thanks For The important Information,

Costing which we got from our vendor it is not approved by management. Now I am looking to implement this setup with clustering solution.
          this will keep redundancy and maximum availability of server.

For clustering can i use different hardware to server end...?
          and a single Hard disk storage.

can i get the requirement and the process for clustering with Wink8 Ent.

Comment

Is this to be clustering of the Hyper-V physical hosst and/or VMs as well?

Can you confirm whether it will be Windows 2008 or Windows 2008 R2.

The recommendation for Hyper-V R2 with SP1 host clustering is to use Windows 2008 R2 with SP1 and create a Cluster Shared Volume.

With regards to the VMs, it would depend on the applicaitons that are to be clustered and whether they support clustering.

Comment

Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 is free and supports clustering. You will need a license for each guest OS. Do you currently have shared storage? If you don't then you can forget about clustering and high availability.

I should also note that Hyper-V only support 4 logical CPUs per VM. This means that if the host has 2 CPUs with 4 cores and hyperthreading enabled, a VM can only effectively use 2 of the 8 cores available.

Needless to say, Tom is right, you should get a consultant in to assess the environment and make recommendations. There are way too many factors to get a solid implementation from advice given on forums.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

hi,

thanks ! finalized hardware sizing We are doing Clustering on two rack servers with External storage.

We having SAP licences 70,and other Network connectivity is 1GB.
                Now a query is can we go with SAS solution Or fiber ....?

Comment

That all depends on your IOPS needs.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post

I should also note that Hyper-V only support 4 logical CPUs per VM. This means that if the host has 2 CPUs with 4 cores and hyperthreading enabled, a VM can only effectively use 2 of the 8 cores .
                    It does actually support more than 4. You just need to edit the VM config file as it can't be done from GUI.
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                      It does actually support more than 4. You just need to edit the VM config file as it can't be done from GUI.
                      Really?! I'll see if I can get that working in my lab.
                      I know it is definitely not supported by Microsoft.

That's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to Server 8 as it will support up to 32 virtual CPUs on the guests.

EDIT: It worked! But I would definitely not use that on a production environment. Thanks Landy.
                      Last edited by JeremyW; 13th January 2012, 13:58.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                      X