Design Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design Question

I have a small network. I am playing around with Hyper-V...just for learning purposes. I was going to implement some virtual servers. My question is about design considerations/best practice. Is it OK to have a virtual AD server? What I am looking at doing is having a virtual AD machine and two other virtual machines for other services. And then, clustering this with another machine setup the same way. Is this acceptable?

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Design Question

Is the virtual DC going to be your only DC?

Can't help with the clustering question as I have never setup a VM cluster. If you only have a small network, why would you consider this?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The virtual DC will be the only DC....I could do two virtuals for redundancy.

Comment

As long as the host is not a domain member, that is OK, otherwise the host will wait for a DC on startup, and said DC will not start until the host is up!

What are you clustering -- physical hosts (requires a domain therefore a physical DC, IIRC) or VMs -- which can be done easily as a training environment
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you are talking about two physical hosts for clustering, do some research on Cluster Shared Volumes for Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V. You could also consider setting certain VMs to start up automatically should both ever be powered off or leave it to be a manual process.
          Last edited by Virtual; 17th November 2011, 08:52.

Comment

Here is what I had in mind. Let me know if this is acceptable or point me in the right direction.

Physical host 1: 3 virtual machines - one AD DC, one exchange server, one for file and print server and a few other small services.

Physical host 2: Looks just like physical host 1.

Cluster like servers between the physical hosts

Physical host 3: used for data stores

Again, I am just learning.....so if this is ate up....please let me know.

Mike

Comment

sounds pretty ok. Just remember not to make the HyperV hosts domain members...
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Have fun with the PDC Emulator and time synchronisations.
                Physical to External Time Server then Virtual to Physical.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X