Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V

I am new to Hyper-V

I am testing out IIS server in hyper-V as i cant install MySQL essentials in my Physical workstation. i usually do it wit VMware workstation i
    I have only one nic in my system and i have set the virtual network to External still cant get network access also same with internal setting

Re: Hyper-V

Moving to HyperV forum for better response

Do you have DHCP on your LAN, and if so, does the guest pick up an IP address when networking (on the host) is set to External?

Internal is host + guests so won't work, neither will Private (guest to guest only)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I didnt setup a dhcp server on my w2k8 workstation im jus using dhcp from isp to use it im jus installed using def setting of Hyper-V and using it

Comment

AlphaZeirus, can you describe your network? It sounds like your host box is getting a public IP. If that's the case then there's no IP address for your vm to obtain.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          AlphaZeirus, can you describe your network? It sounds like your host box is getting a public IP. If that's the case then there's no IP address for your vm to obtain.
          Yes Jeremy, i am using home connection and i have only one nic so there i can avail internet connection to my guest os ? or should i switch to Microsoft virtual pc or vmware server
          also is there a way to share files between hots and guest in hyper-v ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaZeirus View Post
            Yes Jeremy, i am using home connection and i have only one nic so there i can avail internet connection to my guest os ? or should i switch to Microsoft virtual pc or vmware server
            also is there a way to share files between hots and guest in hyper-v ?
            You can switch to VPC which I think NAT's the VM's NIC to the host network or you could get a home router and share you host NIC with the guest in Hyper-V.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I was working as biomedical engg a while ago which isnt a good field to be in my country even after 2 years of experience so i decided to go for career change as im used to be with computers right from my school days and i used to deal with dedicated servers even with ubuntu servers from ovh back in my college but it was all 4 years ago i dont remember a single thing about that rigjht now also i have short time to enter this administration field so if i know how to get these working for now i will manage it @ my job somehow before completely mastering all these thats why i dont want to deal with VPC or VMware workstation rather with realthing like hyper-v which is used on production site so i can stidy both hyper-V and IIS @ same time as i dont have enough time also i have only 2 licenses of Windows 2k8 so cant use more VMs either
              So if i buy new nic like this one "D Link Dfe 520 Tx 10-100 Ethernet Card" and add to my computer and connect hyper-v to the D Link Dfe 520 Tx 10-100 Ethernet Card Ethernet card and my connect broadband to my onboard intel nic btw will i get internet connection to both hyper-v and host or either one @ a time
              Last edited by AlphaZeirus; 1st September 2011, 16:22.

Comment

That won't work. You need to get a home router or, if you're feeling brave, you can configure Routing and Remote Access on your host box. It's a bit more complex (you'll have to install a loopback adapter and route between your physical NIC and the loopback).

A home router is cheap and I imagine would be roughly the same price as the NIC.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

its 10pm here and still 12 hours left until the shop opens tomorrow so i will try this for now and check what happens thanks for directing me to this method

Comment

Working...
                  X