Moving VHD data.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving VHD data.

I'm using BESR software to move production servers to my Hyper-V servers. I create a backup of the OS drive then I covert the drive to a VHD file. One draw back is a lot of my production server OS drives only had a small OS partition, I want to increase the size of the OS partition but I know of no way that allows this once the VM is created.

I was thinking about using BESR disk to disk copy but haven't tried it just yet, I'm in the middle of getting everything setup. So what I'm looking at is doing a VM to VM disk copy..

Anyone have any suggestion on how I can increase the OS disk VHD. I know you can use Hyper-V to add size and if it's a data VHD I can use the diskpart util but that doesn't work on the OS partition.

Re: Moving VHD data.

What is your guest os. 2008 server can also increase the boot partition.
    gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Re: Moving VHD data.

Originally posted by gerth View Post
      What is your guest os. 2008 server can also increase the boot partition.

I converted a Win 2003 OS to a VHD file. I have the new VHD running but the OS drive is only 5 gig I would like to increase it but never done this with a VHD drive. I know you can expand or add space to any VHD file but it doesn't work when you add the space for the main OS.

Comment

Working...
      X