Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupt Hyper-V on Server 2008 R2

Hello everybody,

I am running a Windows Server 2008 R2 on which I previously ran Hyper-V. After some time I decided to remove te role again because I didn't use it. But the removal failed somewhere during the process.

Now I want to install the role again but Hyper-V is still partly there. For example; I still have the Hyper-V manager, but the services are gone.

I tried to remove the role several times, which results in Windows trying for 3 times and then failing, and rolling back the changes.

Is there any way to force removal (or reinstallation) of the Hyper-V role? Or doing it manually?

Re: Corrupt Hyper-V on Server 2008 R2

reinstall server/.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I really want to avoid that because the server is functioning as a DC, DNS, DHCP, IIS, FTP, and Exchange server.

Comment

well.. I would think you'd also really want to avoid putting HyperV on that server, it's just going to make a massive mess.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Though you might be right about that, it's really annoying I can't remove or install the Hyper-V role. Plus I wanted to test with RemoteFX which I can't do now...

Comment

If it is only the management tools, they can be removed via features / remote admin tools... but why bother since you can then manage other hv servers from this one
            Double check if the services are actually gone or not
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Don't ask me why, but after about a 1000 reboots the services are back, and Hyper-V is running again.

I ran CHKDSK on my drives, and installed some updates, but as far as I can tell they have nothing to do with Hyper-V...

Thanks for the input anyway!

Comment

Hi,
                It is nice that you have solved the problem somehow, but Microsoft does not suggest Hyper-V role to be run with any other roles.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
                X