Installing Win 2008 VM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Win 2008 VM

I'm trying to install a Win 2008 R2 x64 VM from an ISO that I have. I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft and while creating my VM I told the configuration to use the ISO I have. When starting the Win 2008 install I get the Windows 2008 Install splash screen.

When the install gets to select the driver to be installed it pops up this window load driver Message, it say this. A required CD?DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

I can't get past this point,,, any ideas what I'm missing?

Re: Installing Win 2008 VM

I think you may need to change something, somewhere to "legacy"

I have a vague recollection of this.. but don' have access to a HV server to check
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post

I have a vague recollection of this.. but don' have access to a HV server to check
      In Hyper-V console or something in the Bios?

Comment

I found a legacy Network Controller in the Hyper-V management console for the VM I created and there is a BIOS setting that lets you change what boot's first but I still get the same message.

Any chance the Core system BIOS have anything to do with it?

Comment

Did you get this ISO from technet ?, I install the one from technet, on VMware WS, ESXi, hyper-v 2008r2 and on 2008r2 with hyper-v roles, and this on AMD and Intel host and never enconter a problem.

what is the configuration of this host ?

Comment

yes.. you're right.. it's to do with network adaptor, not disk controllers, sorry to mislead you

However, the host system bios will have nothing to do with it.
            what sort of drive controller have you selected for the virtual DVD drive ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

it's to do with network adaptor, not disk controllers,
              Speaking about disk controllers, Hyper-V guests can boot only from IDE disks. A SCSI boot device is not supported, although one can add SCSI controller for additional hard disks later.

-vP

Comment

Questions to answer:
                1) what OS are you using on the host?
                2) what virtualization product are you using?
                3) what is the exact error message?
                4) what is the configuration of the VM you created?

I believe that with this data will be a lot easier to start assisting you in solving the issue.

TIA.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by vonPryz View Post
                  Speaking about disk controllers, Hyper-V guests can boot only from IDE disks. A SCSI boot device is not supported, although one can add SCSI controller for additional hard disks later.

-vP
                  this is more or less what I was attempting to allude to....

make sure your cdrom is on an IDE controller..

Comment

make sure your cdrom is on an IDE controller..
                    This is the default set-up. Unless you start changing it ... This is why some questions are to be answered ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Working...
                    X