Hyper-V Backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Backup

I have finished an SBS 2008 VM and Server 2008 R2 VM for a BES. The VHD for the SBS2008 VM is a static 600GB VHD. This takes seven hours to backup up using Backup Exec 2010 R2, a Hyper-V license and external USB trives.

I am planning a larger projec this fall which will have an SBS 2011 VM and a SQL Server 2008 VM. I am concerned there will not be enought time in the middle of the night to back up the to VMs using external drives.

If I was to go to LTO-3 drives and a SCSI/SATA controller would the tape be faster than the USB drives?

Thanks,
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Hyper-V Backup

Are you using USB 2 or USB 3 connections? Have you considered eSATA?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This last install was on a PowerEdge T310 and from looking at the specs, its USB 2. My project this fall will be on a T410 (or similar) and it has USB 3. Is that the same as eSATA? I assume USB 3 connectors are different. I've never seen one yet.

Thanks

Comment

USB 3: At up to 5Gbps
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...al_Bus#USB_3.0

eSAta up to 3Gbps (i beleive there is a 6Gbps due soon)
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#eSATA
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

And LTO-3 has a data transfer speed of 80 MB/s. At its best (nominal speed and no compression), it will take it a bit more than two hours to back up your 600GB file. But the tapes are only 400GB, so you will need two tapes or two heads (tape drives).
          But why use such an old technology? LTO-4 was standardized in 2007. An year ago, LTO-5 appeared. Its data transfer speed is almost double than the LTO-3 (at 150 MB/s) and the tapes are 1.5TBs in size. Looks a lot more suitable for what you're describing, IMHO.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Thaks for all the feedback. I plan to use a Dell PowerEdge T410 and I believe this supports USB 3. This would be a good starting point before considering the more expensive LTO option.

Comment

Good luck! And let us know how it worked out

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Hi Rob,

Why not try a solution that only backs up the *delta*? It'll take a fraction of the time to complete. There are 1 or 2 solutions out there: we use Hyperoo, which is dead reliable, free to trial & cheap to buy.

gAk

Comment

I bought a StarTech USB 3.0 cad and pit it in my PowerEdge 310. Backin up a VHD when 1,100 MB/min to 5,200 ,m/m. What used to takes 6 - 7 hours is now around the two our mark.

However, file and folder result was not such a great improvement using Agent for Windows and Agent for Exchange. I went from 1,100 Mb/min to about 1,900 Mb/min.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                    I bought a StarTech USB 3.0 cad and pit it in my PowerEdge 310. Backin up a VHD when 1,100 MB/min to 5,200 ,m/m. What used to takes 6 - 7 hours is now around the two our mark.

However, file and folder result was not such a great improvement using Agent for Windows and Agent for Exchange. I went from 1,100 Mb/min to about 1,900 Mb/min.
                    it's true, with a delta-based program you could cut down the copy to about 5% to 10% of the original size. We found backupchain for that exact purpose. Unless of course you want a full backup every time you pull the file, that's a different story.
                    you could also try to run your backup from within the VM, that would speed things up

Comment

Working...
                    X