No announcement yet.

can't make avhd files

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't make avhd files

I'm having issues with my VM's making avhd files and I don't know why. I have only one server that I have setup and I check on a regular bases and I always see a ayhd file in the folder where I keep the C: vhd file. Why does it create this avhd file if I'm not creating a snap shot. I have delete the files and recreated the VM and it still comes back.

Anyone have any idea on what the heck is going on?

Also I check the Virtual Machine address amd it also has a BIN file that is 4gig, not sure why thats there either. With the avhd and the BIN file I have 10gig of space gone. thats more space than the server is using.
    Last edited by hlobell; 20th April 2011, 15:57.

Re: Hyper-V

Originally posted by Microsoft TechNet
    Can I delete these pesky .avhd files?

Do not delete .avhd files directly from the storage location. Instead, use Hyper-V Manager to select the virtual machine, and then delete the entire snapshot from the snapshot tree. Review the common snapshot issues video so you can avoid common mistakes in managing snapshots, .avhd files, and disk space.
    What other important considerations I should be aware of when using snapshots?

Keep the following considerations in mind, especially if you plan to use snapshots on a virtual machine in a production environment/
    • The presence of a virtual machine snapshot reduces the disk performance of the virtual machine.
    • When you delete a snapshot, the .avhd files that store the snapshot data remain in the storage location until the virtual machine is shut down, turned off, or put into a saved state. As a result, when you delete a snapshot, you will need to put the production virtual machine into one of those states at some point to be able to complete the safe removal of the snapshot.
    • We do not recommend using snapshots on virtual machines that provide time-sensitive services, or when performance or the availability of storage space is critical.
    The above explanation was taken from this TechNet Wiki. Hope this helps a bit.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

And what do you mean by
      Virtual Machine address
      ? Its folder/location?
      I don't remember any BIN files related to Hyper-V ... Are you sure it is part of the VM? What is its full filename?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

This is the funy thing. The VM I'm runing I never took a snap shot. The avhd file is being stored in the same folder as the VM C: drive is stored. The C: vhd drive is 6.9gig and the avhd file is 4.5 gig. If I delete the avhd file the VM wont start.

This is how i have my VM's setup.

Hyper-V VM's are on D: Folder is called D:\Virtal Drives inside this folder I haveit laid out like this.

Virtual Machines.

In C_Drives I have a folder for each VM.

Only the C: drives of the VM'sare Keep in this folders.

Only O: drives for each VM's are keep here.O; drive is usually where I keep all apps for the server.

The folder holding my VM C: drives has a AVHD that I can't get rid of and itkeeps coming back. I have never taken a snap shot of it and this VM is the only VM creating theAVHD. Also, is it suppose to put the AVHD file in te C VM folder?

It looks ike I may have figure it out. I just ran thr merger utility from the Hyper-V consolrand that removed the Avhd files from al folders tat I did a merge on. Thanks everyone for their input.

Please read the rules on thread titles. Overly generic title changed.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **