Raid Health in Hyper-V

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raid Health in Hyper-V

I've been tasked with trying to provide a health check solution for some of our customers who are running small ESXi or Hyper-V servers. These VM hosts are typically running 1-3 virtual servers. The hardware is across the board from HP Proliant ML370 to a whitebox Seneca Data server with an Intel S5500BCR board... Raid controller cards from Intel SRCS16, 3WARE 9750, to Adaptec 5405.

How can we properly monitor the raid array health on these hosts (for this post, specifically the HYper-V, since I'm in the Hyper-V section)? Preferably with a daily email updates, and of course emails on failures.

I've scoured the web looking for details and come up with several possible solutions... But, nothing that I've been able to implement yet. We'd like to be able to be on top of these arrays so that it's one less thing to lose sleep over. We have backups, but don't want to have to rely on them in the event of a crash.

My background is a little different. My previous life included a lot of EMC equipment that was responsible for monitoring/backup/replication... We had a Clariion CX4-120, Avamar, RecoverPoint, etc. and Navisphere (from EMC) was responsible for health alerts, and you had EMC behind you if a drive was failing. Unfortunately, our customers aren't ready to drop $500k+ on server equipment and so that's where I'm at...

Re: Raid Health in Hyper-V

If the raid array does the event logging in the windows logs, you can set up email alerts of the event log. Windows 2008 can log evens to email.
    gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Thanks gerth... That would work as long as the controller was dumping to the event logs, but it doesn't give me the "daily piece of mind" that we're also looking for. (And, the possibility that maybe they aren't dumping to the event log)

While maybe we don't need something daily, I'd rather have to filter out a few junk emails a day than to have a system crash because we're not proactively monitoring it.

I found another thread here that talks about installing the HP Insight manager agent on ESX:
      Code:
      #Install HP Insight Management Agents 8.1.1:
      #Paste the following into PuTTY:
      cd /tmp
      lwp-download webserver.domain.com/hpmgmt-8.1.1-vmware3x.tgz
      tar -xzvf hpmgmt-8.1.1-vmware3x.tgz
      cd hpmgmt/811/
      lwp-download webserver.domain.com/hpmgmt.conf
      ./installvm811.sh --silent --inputfile hpmgmt.conf
      #System Management Homepage installed successfully with
      #default configuration values.   To change the default
      #configuration values,  type the following command at
      #the root prompt:
      #perl /usr/local/hp/hpSMHSetup.pl

#Remove HP Insight Management Agents 8.1.1 installation files:
      #Paste the following into PuTTY:
      cd /tmp
      rm -f hpmgmt-8.1.1-vmware3x.tgz
      rm -f -r hpmgmt
      and then I found running the Dell OpenManage on Hyper-V on technet:
      Code:
      If you have any DELL PowerEdge server this is what you need to do:
      * Insert your OpenManage DVD and change the working directory to D:\SYSMGMT\srvadmin\windows\SystemsManagement\
      * Execute Msiexec.exe /i SysMgmt.msi
      * You will get warnings, simply dismiss them
      * Add a firewall rule to enable remote administration with the following command:
      netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="OMSA" dir=in action=allow profile=any localip=any remoteip=any localport=1311 remoteport=any protocol=TCP interfacetype=any
      * Browse from another computer in the same network to {server_IP}:1311/. Remember to add this URL to your trusted sites in IE. 

This might work with other hardware vendors as well, but you will need to identify the agents' installer and the correct port for remote administration.
      Any other suggestions or input appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

ESX is different than ESXi. You cannot install the agent in esxi. You can download a preconfigured ESXi from the HP site with agents pre-installed. You can also install agents in Hyper-V.
        gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

I have only HP Proliant servers, so I can't tell you anything about the other type of servers and cards.
          Regarding HP, after I installed the Proliant Support Pack, I have the Event Notification Configuration available. Using it, I can configure to receive e-mails whenever a hardware fault occurs on the server.
          This set-up can give you the solution in case of problems, but will not give you reports when everything's OK. Instead, you can use a utility called hpaducli.exe (available after you install the PSP on the server) to save a report of the status and have it mailed to you. There's a lot of info, but ...
          HIH.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X