Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a Virtualization Strategy

Hi.

I have been tasked with creating a Pre-Prod/TEST server that mirrors a live server and I am looking for some on advice on the best way to achieve this using Hyper V

I need to know if is possible to automate a Copy from a Live VM to a Test VM without downtime for the live VM.

I know I can manually export the live VM and Import in to the test environment but this can be time consuming so if possible would like to automate this to happen overnight each night.

Or indeed if there are better ways to achieve what I want to do, I would be very grateful for any advice.

I don't mind putting the time in to research any methods, just need pointing in the right direction

Thanks in advance

Re: Advice on a Virtualization Strategy

Originally posted by marky9999 View Post
    possible to automate a Copy from a Live VM to a Test VM without downtime for the live VM.
    Without downtime it's going to be hard. I've resolved similar a case by shutting down the guest at 0300, running an export and restarting the guest.

WMI is the answer. Win32_operatingsystem is used to shut down the guest and Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService is used to export the machine.

-vP

Comment

It is very hard to give you a good answer while you didn't say a thing about what are you talking about ...
      What OS has the live server?
      Do you want to have two VMs, one production and one for tests? Or will it be the live server and you want to make it virtual at pre-schedules time intervals?
      How big are the disks of the live server?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Thanks for the info Vonpryz

Sorinso

Apologies for the lack of detail

The servers would be running Server 2008 STD R2 with aprox 1 x 50GB hard disc.

The live server is a virtual machine which I would need to clone to a test virtual instance at regular intervals (each day if possible) to allow us to test deployment changes before applying to the live server.

Comment

How about running a full VM level backup out of hours which you can then restore to alternative host.

DPM 2010 should be able to do this.

Once you have the VM restored to the test server, I presume you would make the change to the test server, and then make the same change to the live server?

In which case the same change will have been made in both locations, and thus both instances will be identical and won't require you to backup and restore the VM too often?

Comment

how about setting up on a cluster shared volume instead? this would sort of automate the switch over in case of a disaster

Comment

Working...
            X