Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting vhd virtual machine to virtual machine with pass-through drive

Hi all,

did anyone of you ever migrated a virtual machine with fixed vhd to a virtual machine with pass-through disk?

I need to do a conversion like this, and somehow i am not able to find a good solution for this.

Is this kind of migration available in SCVMM ?

Thanks,

TaTa

Re: Converting vhd virtual machine to virtual machine with pass-through drive

I have two questions in mind regarding to this:

1. Does the vhd contain the system and boot partition also or it is an additional drive of your VM?
    2. What is your reason to do this? From my point of view maybe the only one is the 2 TB limit.

Migrating to pass-through disk you are going to loose the snapshot capability and support performance degradation. More about this on: http://clusteringformeremortals.com/2009/09/25/hyper-v-pass-through-disk-performance-vs-fixed-size-vhd-files-and-dynamic-vhd-files-in-windows-server-2008-r2/

Br,
    Csaba
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Yes, Vhd contains everything.
      We need better I/O , that's the reason why to migrate to Pass-through drive.

The server is not R2.

Comment

You can't use pass-through drives for the system drive. You'll need to attach an additional drive and move the data to it.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          You can't use pass-through drives for the system drive. You'll need to attach an additional drive and move the data to it.
          ??

I have several machines installed with pass-through drives, using as system drives, and booting from it.

Comment

Ok, I've done it.

Just mapped a pass-through disk to an existing vhd, booted from cloning tool, cloned the vhd drive to pass-through drive, removed the vhd, and booted from pass-through drive.

Ran smoothly.

Thanks for hints.

TaTa

Comment

You know I wasn't thinking when I said that. The boot disk must be an emulated adapter (IDE). The performance of a synthetic adapter (SCSI) is better than the emulated adapter and all high IO should be moved to a synthetic adapter.

So you may want to consider adding a second hard disk on a synthetic adapter.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I already did that.

I just had to sort out the migration...but it's done.

TaTa

Comment

Working...
                X