Snap Shot Data

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap Shot Data

I have a Hyper-V server setup with a Windows 2003 server running on it. I took a snap shot just once of the server a few months back and I'm guessing this is why I now have these .avhd files? Thing is they keep growing, my question is how do I get rid of them If I don't need the,?

I'm looking at the Virtual Data size of the drive I snapped shot and it's only 6gig. I have 2 .avhd files for this VM, anyone got any thoughts on this?

Re: Snap Shot Data

If you made a snapshot, all writes to the file system go into a separate file that can grow very large. If you no longer need the snapshot delete is. When you power off the vm, the data is merged into the original vhd. When the merge job is finished the snapshot data is removed from disk.
    gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by gerth View Post
      If you made a snapshot, all writes to the file system go into a separate file that can grow very large. If you no longer need the snapshot delete is. When you power off the vm, the data is merged into the original vhd. When the merge job is finished the snapshot data is removed from disk.

Maybe it's me but I think I did that once and the .avhd came back. Is that possible?

Comment

Are you sure you powered off the virtual machine after deleting the snapshot?
        gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by hlobell View Post
          Maybe it's me but I think I did that once and the .avhd came back. Is that possible?
          No, the AVHD file is created only when you take a snapshot. So, either:
          - you took another snapshot, or
          - there's an older, orphaned AVHD file left from a previous snapshot.
          Anyway, take precautions when dealing with these files and never handle them toherwise but from the Hyper-V Manager. You might get your VM crippled.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by gerth View Post
            When you power off the vm, the data is merged into the original vhd.
            Be aware that merging disks can take a long time and can consume a lot of HDD space. This might cause unexpected results. Some time ago, deletion of obsolete a VM caused quite a few other VMs to halt. That happened because snapshot AVHDs are merged before deleting. This consumed so much HDD space that VMs that needed to expand dynamic VHDs were unable to do so and were therefore set in Paused Critical state.

If one plans for downtime, remember that snapshot merging can cause nasty surprises.

-vP

Comment

Originally posted by hlobell View Post
              To be sure, export the VM into another a directory. The export process copies only the files that belong into the VM, so leftover AVHDs are not carried along.

-vP

Comment

Ok great I'll give it a try here tonight and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                X