Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper V Backups

Hey there,

Just wondering what software everyone is using to backup their Hyper-V servers?

Re: Hyper V Backups

Backup Exec with HyperV agent, or normal ways of backing up from within the VM
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Microsoft DPM 2010
      gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

I am working with HP Data Protector. As for now, I am backing up the VMs as real servers, with agents installed.
        I am planning to test something called MS Volume Shadow Copy Integration, that will allow me to back-up the VMs using VSS writer capabilities.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          I am working with HP Data Protector. As for now, I am backing up the VMs as real servers, with agents installed.
          Thats what I do too. Backing up vhd files isn't good as the backups take lots of space and one needs to shut down the VM first. Based on some tests, copying a running system's vhd is not going to be stable, no matter what the VSS writer claims. That's because VSS is not aware of what applications are doing. Sure, the filesystem is not going to have abandoned transactions or the like, but VSS still doesn't understand higher levels. And this is the reason Sql Servier nowadays has a VSS service.

-vP

Comment

Backup Exec with standard remote agents in the VMs.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Commvault v9.

Comment

Exporting VMs using Powershell library (http://pshyperv.codeplex.com/)
                Downtime Required
                Cheers!!
                MCSE 2003,MCSA- Messaging 2003, VCP

Comment

A couple of our customers run Backup Exec + Hyper V agent - a bit flaky

Most run Backup Exec + 'normal' agent on the VMs - seems to work, but any bare metal recovery requires a reinstall + a restore...slow and painful, and backups seem to fail at random

Our big customers will be moving to DPM 2010 - Disk to Disk to Tape. Best option if possible (for Hyper V), but pricier.

Comment

DPM's a nightmare. We've had nothing but trouble with 2010. We're now using Hyperoo - interface is a bit simplistic (though this is a relief after DPM), and the scheduling interface could be simpler. But it's backing up CSV to a remote location 24/7 and it hasn't let us down yet. Cheap too at $79 - worth giving a whirl if they're still doing the free trials.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Indeed DPM is a real pain to install. Checking out what's on the market yesterday I downloaded backupchain, it appears to be exactly what we needed. I miss however, the ability to install it remotely on other workstations on the network.

Comment

I use VSS, with no problems at all, never had a machine misbehave and have been able to recover the machines easily. Although saying that we are moving to Vmware and binning our Hyper-v servers.

Comment

How are those people using Backup Exec and 'normal' agent arranging the network? Is Backup Exec installed on physical server with agents in the VMs?

I have a Hyper-V server ( only role/feature) with 3 VMs, SBS 2011, a second server (SQL & LOB apps) and a Win 7 client ( for 'always-on' RDP access). I'd like to back up these systems and was wondering what advice ppl might have concerning installing BackupExec on the host or should I add another physical machine just for backup and keep the Hyper-V host as pure as possible.

Thanks!

Comment

Best Practice is not to install anything else on the host, and you can't have a backup VM as Hyper-V doesn't support SCSI or USB. Unless you're backing up to a NAS of course.

For really quick bare metal restores Backup Exec isn't the right product, you'd need BESR or some other image based product. On the other hand BESR doesn't support granular file restore, so restoring the file that Jeanie in accounts deletes every second Tuesday becomes a total PITA.
                            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                            sigpic
                            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                            X