Installation On Existing 2008 Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation On Existing 2008 Server

I have an existing Windows 2008 64 server. It has data on it. What is the best way to install Hyper-V and convert this server into a virtual server. Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Installation On Existing 2008 Server

Install a new server with the HyperV role
    Test
    Ideally build a new VM on it and transfer your data

If you cannot do that, P2V the existing server (SCVMM is the ideal tool but there are others: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...421fffef604e60)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Can I install Hyper-v on another server create a virtual server then P2V the data from my old server? Or do I have to install 2008 server on the new server first then Hyper-V? I only have one copy of 2008 server.

Comment

If you have another server available, it will be best (IMHO) to:
        1) install on it the trial version of Windows Server 2008 R2. After the install,
        2) download and install the trial version of SCVMM 2008 R2. With it you will be able to transform your physical server to a virtual machine on the trial server.
        3) Test the new virtual machine for few days to be sure everything works smoothly (while the original server is shutdown or disconnected from the network.
        4) When the test is satisfactory, re-install the original server with its OS, install on it the Hyper-V role and
        5) move the virtual machine from the trial server to the original one.
        Both trial versions are for 180 days. It should be more than enough.

But ... I have no idea what data your server holds. And how much. What does it do? It might be that it's not a good candidate for virtualization at all, or specific measures should be taken. It will be better to give some more info regarding your set-up ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

. I have no idea what data your server holds

Nothing special. IIS, DNS, Word and Excel documents and Active Directory. No special software. I picked this server as this is my first time doing this and wanted to use one that was not running some third party special software. By the way thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Harley2002 View Post
            Active Directory
            Is this your DC? If so, this and
            Nothing special
            cannot be in the same paragraph, dude!
            Virtualizing your DC as a learning case is not the best idea. You might have some bigger problems in your other servers ( although I doubt a third-party software can be bigger problem than a DC), but, man, this is not a good idea at all.
            Before continuing, please give us a list of all your roles your server has (you'll find the list in the Server Manager) and give the exact OS version.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Working...
            X