BOOTMGR is missing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOOTMGR is missing

Hello Forum - newbie here and with Hyper Visor.

I've done a quick search on this forum for BOOTMGR is missing and come up empty, so have begun a new thread. Thanks for all the knowledge and educational material here. It has aided in getting this ole IBM midrange programmer acclimated to the world of windows servers.

I've recently started down the virtual path and have a HP DL380 G4 running Windows Std Server 2003 R2 service pack 2.

The HP is running RAID 5 with a partition for OS on C (25 GB) and data on E (280 GB) using HP Logical Volume SCSI Disk Device. When using the sysinternal disk2vhd, I generate to my new DELL R710 Windows 2008 R2 running Hyper Visor one .vhd, I selected both C and E from the tools form. I create a new VM based on the .vhd and upon starting and then attempting to boot the new VM I receive the "BOOTMGR is missing message". I've been searching all over to figure out how to accomplish this migration from my HP physical server to my new DELL running Hyper Visor and believe I have issues due to the HP's logical drive.

I think I have to some how mount the .vhd I exported to my new DELL via Windows 2008 server utility and somehow perform a FixBoot.

Can anyone provide assistance?

David

Re: BOOTMGR is missing

Try to create a VHD file only from C partition, mount it to a new VM and try to boot from it. Sounds like your partition is not bootable.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks, I too thought perhaps picking the volumes one-by-one would do it, but no luck the .vhd output file for my C-drive was also showing "raw" and BOOTMGR is missing resulted when attempting to boot the VM.

I have rectified the issue via mounting the VHD file (combined with both C and E drives from my source), on the 2008 server and then using the free cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download TestDisk product to perform a rebuild of the boot sector as outlined xtralogic.com/testdisk_rebuild_bootsector.shtml

I was amazed at the level of documentation and guidance for this and wonder why the MicroSoft team at SysInternals has not published this fix. Not sure how the disk2vhd created this issue, but am relieved to have found a patch for it.

Thanks for all your wonderful educational material.

David

Comment

I am glad you solved the problem. Thank you for posting back the solution, I am sure it will assist someone along the road.
        Regarding Sysinternals, well ... Historically, SysInternals is not Microsoft. Mark Russinovich, one of the SysInternal's founders (and I'll even dare saying "the engine" behind it) started working for Microsoft back in 2009. Part of his great tools bare now the sign of Microsoft, but they weren't developed by Microsoft, only for their products
        I have to say I used Disk2VHD few times and I never encountered your issue... So, it's not a "known bug" ... For me, at least

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

I know you have resolved but thought i would add,

When you Disk2Vhd you should tick the box Fix up HAL this resolves the hardware problems especially if the physical server has RAID configured, also you should not run the disk2vhd program from the drive you are snapshooting i.e- If you are snapshooting C drive then run the disk2vhd program from a another volume.

Comment

Thanks much Rich, I am running the disk2vhd off an external so I am not on the volume and I'm pointing the output to a network mapped drive.
            As far as the HAL, what version of the disk2vhd was that present? The version I have used is 1.63 and the only checkbox I find is the "Prepare for use in Virtual PC". I've not looked at running from the command line.

Comment

The version i have is 1.4 which has the tickbox fix up HAL for VPC so the latest version must have changed the wording to prepare for use Virtual PC but it does the same job.

Comment

Working...
              X