Booting New VM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting New VM

I created a VM from a Win 2003 server using Symantec System recovery 8.5 so I could convert the OS and use the system in a test enviroment. When I started up the VM I get this Restriction message (This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in Effect on this computer Please contact your system admin)

I'm using the trial version of Symantce but it states that it is will work for 60 days. IS this ssomething to do with Symantec or is it the virrtual file?

Re: Booting New VM

I am not accustomed with the product you are using... What is its output? A VHD file?
    Why are you using this awkward method? There are a lot of P2V solutions ...
    What OS are you working with, what virtualization solution?

Please provide some info about your set-up and you did so far, so we will be able to assist you.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

where is the error message appearing?

On the guest, or the host?
      Does the guest actually stat up and give you a logon screen or anything like that ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me I'll do my best to give you the info you are needing

I have a production Server Windows 2000 Advanced SP4 I need to convert to VHD file for my Hyper V testing enviroment. I'm using Symantec Recovery 8.5 to convert my Win 2000 server c: drive only to a VHD file. THe VHD file creates fine no issues.

I take the VHD file and copy it to my Win 2008 Datacenter R2 x64 Server onto a share. Inside the Hyper V manager I create a new VM in the VM console and use the "Use an existing virtual hard drive" option.

The VM goes and starts and the Windows Splash screen appears and then I get this message and I can not go any further.

I have used Styamtec many times when I worked for a diffrent company to create VHD files as I'm doing now and it worked great but I was doing it to Windws 2003 not Windows 2000.

Also My Hyper-V server is not patched it is just Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. I think I remember running into this issue once before but it was a very long time ago. I can't remember if it was R2 the issues or the Server needing to be patched. I can build VM's from scratch with no problem. Also I cannot fet my Windows 2008 R2 server on the internet to grab the right SP because it's blocked.

Funny thing is all the SP i have down loaded sya that they are not compatable to my version of windows so this also has me scratching my head.

Here are the service packe I tried to install on Win 2008 Datacenter x64 that says wrong version.
        Windows6.0-KB948465-X64
        Please if anyone has a link to the SP for Win 2008 Datacenter R2 x64 could you please give me a link so I can patch?

I'm also attaching the error I get when starting my VM

THanks again guys for all your help.

H
        Attached Files

Comment

the error is occuring on the W2000 guest - what concerns me is that Windows Server 2000 is not a supported guest for HyperV

is it at all possible for you to try and convert your 2000 server to something that might work on ESX, Vmware server or VirtualServer or one of the other virtualistion platforms? This would help us definitely rule out the 'unsupported' issue
          Last edited by tehcamel; 9th January 2011, 16:48.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Well, that's not so simple. Windows Server 2000 is not an easy candidate for a P2V process.
            Again, I am not accustomed with the Symantec solution you are using. I do not know how it creates the VHD file, but you need to remember that inside the VM there's a different hardware configuration than on the physical server. Windows Server 2000 was not such a good Plug-and-Play version.
            Back to our issue: what I usually recommend is the Disk2VHD tool. But it does not work for 2000 Server, because it uses VSS and 2000 Server has no clue about it
            Another idea is to use the 180-days trial edition of SCVMM2008 R2 and to do an offline (it has to be offline, it's the only way 2000 Server can be done) P2V process.
            Regarding the SP, are you talking about SP1 for 2008R2? If so, there's only the RC version available as for now, which I do not recommend to be installed on production servers.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Well, that's not so simple. Windows Server 2000 is not an easy candidate for a P2V process.
              Again, I am not accustomed with the Symantec solution you are using. I do not know how it creates the VHD file, but you need to remember that inside the VM there's a different hardware configuration than on the physical server. Windows Server 2000 was not such a good Plug-and-Play version.
              Back to our issue: what I usually recommend is the Disk2VHD tool. But it does not work for 2000 Server, because it uses VSS and 2000 Server has no clue about it
              Another idea is to use the 180-days trial edition of SCVMM2008 R2 and to do an offline (it has to be offline, it's the only way 2000 Server can be done) P2V process.
              Regarding the SP, are you talking about SP1 for 2008R2? If so, there's only the RC version available as for now, which I do not recommend to be installed on production servers.
              Being I don't have lot of time to work on this I think I'm just going to build the Win 2000 servers from scratch, I can build one system and use it as a template and build as many as I need of off of it. I have yet to try and convert one of my Win 2003 servers to a VHD so I'm about to get onto doing that.

For converting the Windows OS to a VHD file I use Symantec System recovery 2010. I have used it plenty before and works great on Win 2003 and 2008 server when converting them to a virtual system. The software use to be call Symantec Live state. You have to create a backup of a production system and once that backup is complete you then can convert it to a VHD file of even a VKM if you use ESX. Plus you never have to shut the system down or stop any services while you do the backup. I prefer Hyper-V because I have used it so much and the pricing is better for what I'm needing it for and I want an all Microsoft shop.

I'll do a Win 2003 server x64 server today and let you know if I have success with it. Only thing I was worried about was the Symantec software free trial is for 60 day's and they say it's fully functional, I hope that's the case, I'll be pretty pissed if they allow you to go all this way and be denied the loading of a VHD file with out a licensed copy.

Oh and thanks about the info on the SP for Datacenter, I was not sure if they had one out yet and yes, I will stay away from the new RC..

Comment

Cool, good luck !

Let us know the outcome ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  Cool, good luck !

Let us know the outcome ...

I should be working on this today. I was reading about Server 2000 not compatable with Hyper-V? So if I build a Win 2000 VM from scratch will it not wrok? I have tried the Disk2VHD but still no luck. My best option will be to build the Win 2000 system from scratch and see what happens.

Comment

Any reason why you don't use Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual Server 2005 SP2? I have no idea if either Virtual apps will run on a Hyper-V machine so it may not be an option.

Wonder if you can run VS2005 on a VM running on Hyper-V? Might try that later when I run out of Milo.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by hlobell View Post
                      I should be working on this today. I was reading about Server 2000 not compatable with Hyper-V? So if I build a Win 2000 VM from scratch will it not wrok? I have tried the Disk2VHD but still no luck. My best option will be to build the Win 2000 system from scratch and see what happens.
                      AFAIK there is no problem with a new build Win2000 machine under any form of virtualisation. The issue lies with converting the existing physical machine to a virtual one, and the need to change the HAL and low level system drivers.
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        Any reason why you don't use Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual Server 2005 SP2? I have no idea if either Virtual apps will run on a Hyper-V machine so it may not be an option.

Wonder if you can run VS2005 on a VM running on Hyper-V? Might try that later when I run out of Milo.

I just don't like Virtual PC and found it to be buggy and slow. Though it's come a long way with the SP I have Hyper V and it's the best option for what I'm looking to do. I will be doing a Citrix Farm and converting our domain over to Hyper V.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                          AFAIK there is no problem with a new build Win2000 machine under any form of virtualisation. The issue lies with converting the existing physical machine to a virtual one, and the need to change the HAL and low level system drivers.

Yup your right, I've given up on converting Win 2000 and will build it from scratch. I have no problems converting my Win 2003 box's over so that's a good thing. Anyway I'm trying to get this company away from Win 2000 and up to atleast Win 2003 and Win 2008 which is going to be a push LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post

Milo. You bastard. We saw some at Selfridges the oter day - 4.75 for like a little 200gm tin or something !
                            made me a bit nostalgic

I still don't understand where milo fits into this scenario though :P

just out of interest, I'm sure i've done a P2v (coldclone) of at least 1 W2000 server, but more likely 3 iirc
                            going onto ESX3.5 though, not HyperV

Comment

Working...
                            X