Cluster of Microsoft Hyper-v Server 2008 R2 Servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cluster of Microsoft Hyper-v Server 2008 R2 Servers

Friends, I have a scenario with two or more servers with Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008, need to do a failover cluster with all of them, although the cluster is enabled on the servers, at least the service is enabled, I see the console RSAT for Windows 7 where I manage the servers MS Hyper-V Server, no option to configure and manage the cluster of servers.

Then ask, to manage a cluster of MS Hyper-V Server, SCVMM must be installed on the network? For Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Console and Failover Cluster exists on the operating system itself.

So can anyone explain to me how do you configure a server cluster MS Hyper-V Server?

Detail, the project should be implemented without the need to purchase Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Thanks

Re: Cluster of Microsoft Hyper-v Server 2008 R2 Servers

do you have shared disk back end ?

like an iSCSI or Fibre Channel SAN?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Creating a failover cluster is quite simple in Server 2008 in contrast with, say, 2003. All you need is somewhat similar servers, a few NICs and shared storage like SAN or iSCSI.

Read a Technet article about Hyper-V clustering.

System Center Virtual Machine Manager is not strictly required for managing clustered virtual machines, but it makes it a lot easier. There are caveats: Hyper-V's own management tools are not cluster aware. If you create a highly-available VM and change some properties, the changes might not work after failover or live/quick migration. SCVMM on the other hand is cluster aware and makes sure the settings stick (probably by messing around with VM settings on the new host.)

-vP

Comment

Actually I want to know is where I create and manage clustered servers with Microsoft Hyper-V Server. In the current scenario there is no Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-v.

In the console RSAT Windows 7 for example, I see no screen, no button or option to configure the Cluster, so I think that to create cluster of servers with Microsoft Hyper-V Server, SCVMM is required.

Another thing. Which is better and more reliable? Cluster of servers with just Microsoft Hyper-V Server or servers with Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 with Hyper-v?

The storage that I have is of type iSCSI

Comment

The Failover Cluster Manager RSAT can be used to make the VM cluster aware. If you combine SCVMM and SCOM, all can be dynamically balanced.
          gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

If you'll check the Software Requirements in the article vonPryz gave you, you'll see that you need to run Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise or DataCenter on the host to be able to use the Hyper-V Failover Cluster.
            There's no reference to Hyper-V Server in there. Meaning, what you try to do is not supported. Never did it myself, so cannot tell you if there are any workarounds.
            You will probably need to opt for VM-based clustering, and not Host-based.
            Regarding your other question, SCVMM is a great tool, but is not compulsory to be able to run Hyper-V Failover Cluster. You can do that with the RSAT tools.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

I don't have the full answers yet as I am in the process of doing this myself. I have two links that can help and clear some confusion.

it20.info/2009/02/hyper-v-server-r2-on-bladecenter-s-tutorial/

virtualizationteam.com/microsoft/hyper-v/building-a-cluster-with-hyper-v-and-server-core-part-3-and-creating-a-windows-server-2008-cluster.html
              (go to the first part of this series)

The bottom line is you need to set some features and roles on each Hyper-V server you are using. In addition you will need to start the iSCSI Initiator service remotely from another server. Next you will need to create at least one LUN for the quorum and have each of the servers clustered attach to that LUN. Then you can use the Fail Over Manager RSAT tool for Windows 7.

Good luck,

gymmbo

Comment

Just use the free hyper-V R2 version.

use the build in menu (sconfig.cmd) to enable the cluster feature and from the command prompt type iscsicpl to setup the iscsi lun
                enable remote admiinistration.
                get the cluster machines on the same patch level.

After all is done, use the RSAT tools to set up the cluster.
                gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Well, gymmbo, good luck! Let us know how will it develop.
                  Nevertheless, I am not certain that this set-up is supported by Microsoft. Not that I want to discourage you in any way, just to make sure you take everything in consideration.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Working...
                  X