No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 premium / hyper-v / user data

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 premium / hyper-v / user data

Hi All

Need some help on how the user data is stored / permissoned when installing SBS 2008 and second server on a single piece of hardware using hyper-v?

I have the microsoft recommended windows 2008 R2 as the parent sitting on the hardware and one install of SBS 2008 and Windows 2008 as child partitions within hyper-v.

I have 2 disks in RAID 1. Have partitioned them off to host the primary server and 2 child servers with a large chunk left un-partitioned to use for user data etc.

The issue i have is that when you are configuring the SBS server to host the user data it either needs to be within the VHD of the SBS server or if you use other disks on the same physical server you cannot assign domain security as the parent server running the hyper-v is not part of the domain.
    My issue is how do i have SBS as a virtual server but have disk space outside the physical machine and still maintain domain security?

maybe i am missing something or is the standard to store user data within the VHD of the SBS 2008 VM?